Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fex404

F.A.S.Team Equipment?

6 posts in this topic

I am curious to find out what departments with acting F.A.S.Teams carry with them when called for their F.A.S.Team. Mainly what would your team carry up to the staging area? And even if you dont carry it what do you think should be involved?........Thanks in advance

a few offf the top of my head

T.I.C

irons

rabbit tool

rope bags

sledge

saw

spare scba-1hr bottle

handlight/radios

whatever else you think you might need

Good topic, I think it's been mentioned before but as with anything else, there's probably been some changes.

We used to virtually empty our rig and bring it all up. Over time we have "downsized." Based on the building type and the number of personnel we are using, our equipment brought up with us has changed a bit.

Personal equipment:

Portable radio

Flashlight

Full PPE

SCBA

Search Team(s):

All of the above

Pair of Irons

TIC

Search rope (if needed)

Downed FF SCBA

Webbing to remove downed FF

Rescue Team:

Pair of Irons and/or

Steel roof hook(s)

Other equipment as relayed by the Search Team's C.A.N. report.

Other equipment at staging / on the rig ready for use:

Saws (one QuickVent chain saw, one K12 with multi-use blade and one Stihl saw with steel abrasion blade.)

Holmatro HCT4120 hand-operated hydraulic rescue tool

Extra irons (total of 4 pairs on rig), hand tools (8 lb. sledge, crow bars, two 6' and two 8' steel roof hooks, two bolt cutters)

Rabbit tool

K-tool

Two reciprocating saws - one is cordless.

Stokes

FAST equipment staging mat (it's new, not sure how well / how often it will be used)

300' rope with 3:1 system

The rig we use is Engine 119. Other gear it carries includes:

Little Giant ladder

10' attic ladder

14' roof ladder

35' ground ladder

On-board 10KW hydraulic generator and over 400' feet of electrical cord.

Additional closet hooks and pike poles

10 SCBAS plus one RIT KIT

It's an Engine with the extra equipment to supplement our FAST and can be used as a backup or to assist our Truck.

Photos of it and FAST members at calls and training can be seen at our site Engine119.com

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

I think a lot depends on the building that is being operated in and your size up. I know a lot of you don't know this info going in but it's something to think about.

The basics have already been said

Stokes (easy to carry eveything up to the scene)

Both search rope and Life Saving Ropes

Can (This is an FDNY procedure can be used on burns)

Grease Board (If you team is big enough you can have two guys do a 360 and then can do a quick drawing on the board and try to preplan ops)

Saws (based on the building) A cordless rebar cutter if you have one may be the fastest way to remove window bars

And along with this you should size up the scene and find an available hoseline if needed to cover a rescue operation. Size up the ground ladders and aerial devices present to know what you can do if someone appears at a window. I also like to know where there is a Hurst Tools and Air Bags that can be accessed if a heavy entrapment calls for them.

I could go on forever but I'm sure some other posters will take over where I left off.

We have a RIT bag made up with a one hour 4.5 Scott in it, spare mask, tag line rope, and a quick fill hose for buddy breathing.

We than take to the staging area:

Forcibe Entry tools

EMS bag

One RIT saw(cutters edge with depth gauge removed)

One K12 with multi purpose blade

After the RIT team has equipment they than make sure that there is a secondary means of egress(ie ladder the fire floor in two locations)

They usually help with utility control and clear any ground hazards.

The most important equipment in a RIT operation is the crew, an officer who can keep tabs on his people and firefighters who have the personal descipline to stick together and not do jobs that look like they are not getting done from their vantage point. Personally, I fee l the toughest part of RIT is being in a standby mode right in front of a very active and hectic scene.