Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Firefighters union takes Auburn city to court

4 posts in this topic

Interesting story I was directed to at the AuburnPub.com.

The local firefighters union will attempt today to keep the city from using two new recruits as active duty firefighters over the next two months.

Auburn Professional Fire Fighters Local 1446 is asking a Cayuga County judge to issue an injunction preventing the city from using the new hires to count toward the department's 15-person minimum requirement. But city officials said Tuesday the recruits have enough training, and the city will save thousands of dollars in overtime if they work.

Interesting story - the comments are very interesting too .... (especially in light of some of the recent discussions).

Interesting story I was directed to at the AuburnPub.com.

Interesting story - the comments are very interesting too .... (especially in light of some of the recent discussions).

Monty your so right. After reading the story and reading the blogs. The names have changed, but not the attitude towards cilvil servants. Again an uneducated taxpayer that doesn't understand 'nothin about nothin' except that he pays too much taxes. He does not know what he gets for his dollar.

It amazes me how, in my opinion, the report makes it sound like this problem just popped up. I'm sure the Chief knew he was short staffed - amazing what some will try to get away with just to keep their job.

When I was in the academy we had a couple of departments who would use their recruits this same type of way. In my opinion this is not a smart idea, and good job by the Auburn Local to try to put a stop to this. The fact that it saves money on overtime should not be an issue. These recruites have not meet all the standards yet set by the state to be considered firefighters so they should not be put to work just to save on overtime. This is a very unsafe pratice that puts everyone at risk from the general public to all emergency personel working at the scene and should be put to a stop everywhere across the entire state.