Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Mfd

Leaving work to respond to an alarm

35 posts in this topic

An employer can not stop you from responding to an alarm but they do not have to pay you while you are gone. Best thing is to sit down and explain the importance of responding. Most places rely on volunteers who work in their village or town during the day.

While you may be technically correct that an employer can't stop you from leaving, the flip side is they can prevent you from RETURNING! Private sector or "at will" employees may not have the luxury of a union to defend them against sanctions for leaving during the work day.

You're absolutely right about the need to discuss it with your employer prior to the tones going off! I wonder if an employer can take a tax deduction for your volunteer duties while on their time - that may be an incentive for the private sector to go along with this.

My only problem with this law is that it makes your employer pay you while you are responding. If you are not at work then your boss should not have to pay you. You should be allowed to leave to respond, but if they're going to keep you on the clock consider it a bonus. The law as its posted applies to everyone. The only exemption is for people employed in the service of the public with where their absence would result in staffing below a set minimum.

The proposed bill only applies to municipal (public) employees. It states that right in the opening passages.

Frankly, I think this whole thing just serves to further highlight the problem of simply not having enough personnel to cover the calls! Regardless of whether this becomes law or not, the issue will cause workplace problems. If someone else has to pick up your slack, or your boss has to hear from those who don't volunteer about your missing work, getting paid, and them having to stay it will eventually cause employers to cut back on their volunteer spirit. I've seen it firsthand with smokers. Can't smoke in the building so you can take "smoke breaks" to go outside to smoke. Well, a few non-smokers started taking "smoking breaks" because they picked up the slack in the smokers absence. A freakin' management nightmare!

Hmmm Im a NYS employee too. I'm can leave work if we have the coverage. I work in direct care. I also will be paid Up to 4hrs if IM on call and cant leave a scene.

My ? to you lisnak what union do you have. I think you have to look deep unto you union laws. I know csea union workers can leave if you have the coverage.

When I worked for NYS, I sometimes came in late because of a fire call. Just had to bring in a form letter the Dept has signed by the chief. Occaissionally, I would take time during the day if I happened to be close by. Most of the time I worked in a different county so it wasn't an issue.

The best was the day we were on scene for 12 hrs. We were 4 hrs into the call before I could call my supervisor. He didn't like it, but there was nothing he could do about it.

Currently, we have a member in our department who works for the town and is allowed to respond from work. He is almost always our top responder. We consider him our only paid member.

i've left work a couple of times, but only for retoned working structures and my boss just told me to clock out when i left and clock back in when i came back or call him if i was not going to be back by the time my shift was suposed to end.

wow this is quite interesting. I have always wonderd what the deal in NYS was pertaining to this.

I have never heard of a company that flat out forbids such responses, but we all probably need to use a little common sense and not turn this into something adversarial.

I used to work for A and P supermarket, and they refused to let me go to anything. There was a small fire at Miragio's resturant a few months ago, and one of my buddies who still works there, came to help out with the call. While he was inside the restaurant, his boss came over and asked me where he was. I told her, and she became furious that he left work, and was "playing around" in the fire.

not sure what happened disciplinary wise, but I think he still works there.

edit: A&P is right next door to miragio's

Edited by EMSJunkie712