Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

Gunk buildup behind LCD monitor

9 posts in this topic

So yea, my dilemma is this. I have all kinds of gunk that has built up behind my laptop's LCD monitor, and when there is a while background on the screen, it all shows up, and its driving me nuts. I am trying to avoid taking apart my screen if at all possible.

Any suggestions?? I tried to use compressed air to blow out behind it, but it didnt seem to do much of anything.

So yea, my dilemma is this. I have all kinds of gunk that has built up behind my laptop's LCD monitor, and when there is a while background on the screen, it all shows up, and its driving me nuts. I am trying to avoid taking apart my screen if at all possible.

Any suggestions?? I tried to use compressed air to blow out behind it, but it didnt seem to do much of anything.

DO NOT take it apart on your own. You can ruin the liquid crystals. Bring it to Circuit City, or Best Buy Geek Squad.

It's probably a defect in the LCD panel itself.

I disagree with JTACIJ. Circuit City Firedog and the Geeksquad are just going to box up your laptop, send it off and have the LCD replaced for a large price. Both companies have a severly tarnished history with poor quality work and service. You can easily get the parts and do it yourself with a basic screwdriver.

I have used this company before for LCD replacements. Check them out. They will even install the screen for you for absolutely free if you send the laptop to them. I was very happy with them and continue to recommend them to friends and associates. http://www.screentekinc.com/

DO NOT TAKE IT APART ON YOUR OWN YOU CAN RUIN THE LIQUID CRYSTALS, BRING IT TO CIRCUIT CITY OR BEST BUY GEEK SQUAD.
Edited by grantnet10

It's probably a defect in the LCD panel itself.

I disagree with JTACIJ. Circuit City Firedog and the Geeksquad are just going to box up your laptop, send it off and have the LCD replaced for a large price. Both companies have a severly tarnished history with poor quality work and service. You can easily get the parts and do it yourself with a basic screwdriver.

I have used this company before for LCD replacements. Check them out. They will even install the screen for you for absolutely free if you send the laptop to them. I was very happy with them and continue to recommend them to friends and associates. http://www.screentekinc.com/

Come to think about it, you are right.

You sure its not a build up of dust and other junk, like you would find on the fan grills of your CPU? Also where do you have your computer located?

Definitely do not take it apart!

You sure its not a build up of dust and other junk, like you would find on the fan grills of your CPU? Also where do you have your computer located?

Definitely do not take it apart!

Well, it is dust, and other junk, as you said. My laptop migrates, as a laptop would. It either sits in my room, or comes with me, on excursions. Would say that 90% of the time it sits in my room.

I manage a stock of laptops that corporate travelers use and have never had a situation where gunk gets into the LCD panel itself. What you do to it can't possibly beat what these people are doing to it unless you are tying a rope to it and dragging it behind your truck on a dirt road.

Take some pictures of the problem. I would really like to see it.

Well, it is dust, and other junk, as you said. My laptop migrates, as a laptop would. It either sits in my room, or comes with me, on excursions. Would say that 90% of the time it sits in my room.

I have to agree I have never heard of this happening and to tell you the truth I do not know if it is even possible. The LCD is all one piece thats why when you press on it you can see the colors move so I don't think there is a way to get between it. It may just be a defect in the LCD. Try a local computer store like everyone said the big chains just ship it off anyway. What kind of laptop is it?

If its only on the outside and also along the seams, then take a damp cloth and wipe it down. Put a little Fantastic on it (the window cleaner stuff only) on a rag and wipe again. The take a dry cloth after your done cleaning to wipe it down. Don't wipe or press hard on the screen or its edges. It shouldn't hurt anything and if you need the inside clean then take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I used to work on laptops in my former life and they are a lot easier to manipulate than desktop PCs. I know how to take them apart but you have to be really careful around the screen.

Also if your laptop "migrates" as you say, you are going to pick up dust, dirt, grease, et. al. no matter where you go. You should at least wipe the laptop down once a week.