Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

New Tool for Highrise Fires...Whats your opinion?

11 posts in this topic

New Tool For Highrise Fires, the Aerial Mule

Theres a link for everyone who doesn't get the updates from Fire Engineering Magazine. The tool is called the "Aerial Mule" and the clip has a short animated video clip showing how this will work. Apparently its still being produced and wont be available untill "Mid 2008" according to the clip.

I think its interesting, but the time it took the firefighters to get to the device, deploy it, and wait for the thing to return they could have humped the hose kit with them and started an attack with the air they had. Its an interesting concept though, dont get me wrong. I just thought it would be nice to share with the rest of you and get your opinions.

Theres a link for everyone who doesn't get the updates from Fire Engineering Magazine. The tool is called the "Aerial Mule" and the clip has a short animated video clip showing how this will work. Apparently its still being produced and wont be available untill "Mid 2008" according to the clip.

I think its interesting, but the time it took the firefighters to get to the device, deploy it, and wait for the thing to return they could have humped the hose kit with them and started an attack with the air they had. Its an interesting concept though, dont get me wrong. I just thought it would be nice to share with the rest of you and get your opinions.

now you have to contend with the building owners asking who will pay for it , otherwise nice idea.

maybe good during extened operations or overhaul but not part of the initial fire attack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't we just use the elevators already in the building if they're (elevators) working? :huh:

Mike

Great concept but not sure how practical it is

Seems like there is a lot of things that can break. Not to mention the additional cost to building owners (im sure in the grand scheme its not much, but you know they would put up a fuss). A little to complex for my taste. Looking at some of the other products that this company offers, it seems like they have really great ideas, but the implementation seems a bit far fetched or, almost, unrefined and once again, complex.

That thing is cool, but it seemes to take a while to go up and down. Also, what if you are above the fire floor I dont think it's going to be moving well

Great concept but not sure how practical it is

I'd agree with 100% of the equipment on the website

Well working where I do and having been involved in the fire at one of our high-rises, our high-rise carts basically do the same thing. We arrive on scene, load the portable cart up, key the elevator, and take the cart up to the staging area, then go to work on the fire floor after setting up. For an initial attack I don't think this would be good at first too much time to set up for the initial attack. However I do like the concept because additional companies coming in (either your own or mutual aid) can use this to keep bringing up the needed supplies, equipment and hose to the staging levels quicker and leaving the elevators for transporting firefighters up to the staging area. The concept is great and should be considered for use during a long duration, not initial attack.

There is just no need for this, at all. What, you're going to have them installed on every floor of every hi-rise? Not to mention, I don't care abou that plastic tape stuff, do you really want to take the risk of knocking out a huge pain of glass from a 50th floor? Sure, they might break on their own on the fire floor, but do you need to add to the problem?

Dedicate one member (on my job, the OV Man) to operate the elevator, in firemen's service, to the floor below. It's gonna be faster. If no elevators are working, then the problem is pretty damn serious already to consider setting up some wild piece of equiptment like that. Humping equiptment up stairs sucks, but it's part of the job. Stay in shape, that's part of the job too.

Ugh ! Extremly labor intensive.