Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoDucks23

Bloodborne Diseases

5 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me what types of ilness's / Diseases can still be transmitted in wet or dried bodily fluids. For example: A suction Unit is used on a patient and it sucks blood or vomit into the actual motor of the unit. What risks are there for the person who would have to fix that motor be and would there be different if by the time the unit got to that person if the fluids were still in liquid form or dried. Just trying to figure out some proper precautions, shipping procedures, and risks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dont have proof or a listing of everything specifically...but generally, many common blood bourne diseases die within a short exposure to open air (like a few minutes)

The risk depends on the specific pathogen that is present. Some viruses are very sensitive like HIV and generally die when the blood is dry, unlike Hepatitis C which can survive even in dried form for some time.

The simplest thing is wearing appropriate standard precautions if working on such units and have the required vaccinations as outlined by OSHA.

I think HEP B can live upto 1 week outside the body

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. So what I thought about HEP B was true. Thanks again.