Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
201/65

Fire Service Instructor I

5 posts in this topic

Myself and another member of my FD are taking Fire Instructor I this weekend and next at the State Fire Academy. Anyone else on here going or have any tips about the class?

Myself and another member of my FD are taking Fire Instructor I this weekend and next at the State Fire Academy. Anyone else on here going or have any tips about the class?

Read the books! There's quite a bit of material that will show up on the final exam.

Read the books! There's quite a bit of material that will show up on the final exam.

Very good class. I would strongly recommend doing all of the reading, as the final is very comprehensive. Also, bring a notebook computer with you, as you will need to prepare a lesson plan and powerpoint. Start thinking now about what topic you would like to do.

Good luck and enjoy!

buy theprep book......verrrrryyy goood almost all test questions come outa it

Actually, having just taken this - I would say the biggest thing is the Exam Prep book. If you don't want to buy it, get a copy from the Academy Library. I'd suggest going in there the first break you get Friday if its not open when you first get there.

Also, bring a notebook computer with you, as you will need to prepare a lesson plan and powerpoint. Start thinking now about what topic you would like to do.

One thing many of us did was waste a lot of time getting our lesson plans looking 'pretty'. Some smart people just hand wrote the lesson plans. Something to keep in mind when you get your home work. Another way we wasted a lot of time was with the 'Objectives' homework. Don't over analyze or complicate it :) KISS!!!

Also, we had no choice on our presentations - so don't worry about that aspect. You don't need power point, or videos or anything but if you want to you can. Some people in the class just used an Overhead Projector, blackboard and flip pad. It is much more on the reasoning behind lesson plans and learning than the actual presentation and delivery.

Listen to the instructors - they give a lot of good information and tips (at least they did to us). The final exam is pretty tough although we all passed, the exam prep booked helped me tremendously. Enjoy!!!

Edited by Monty