Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFD165

Would you participate?"One pitch Softball tournament for Sam Oitice Memorial

11 posts in this topic

Hey folks, here is an opportunity to voice your opinion.

The Sam Oitice Heroes Remembered Memorial committee is looking into hosting a one-pitch softball tournament this summer to raise money for the completion of the memorial. We will be installing three of the completed pieces sometime in August, maybe July if we are lucky. The last piece to be installed will be the Wall of Heroes with all the names of the fallen first responders from 9/11/01, we do not expect that to be completed until 2009 unless we can raise a significant amount of money over the next few months.

My question to all of you is " How many departments/teams/people would be interested in participating in the tournament as a fundraiser ?" We would look to complete the tournament in no more than 1 weekend and possibly even a day depending on the number of entries.

Ok, what's everyone's thoughts on this as a possible fundraiser for the 9/11 memorial?

Do you have a date set for the game's yet and time place in mind let me know i play on 2 softball teams

Depending on date and place if we could get a team.

I'm sure we would participate, assuming it wasn't a schedule conflict with anything else.

Will this tourney be opened just for FD's or will it be an open tourney?

Thanks for all the answers!

To answer a few of the questions:

1) Location will be the Sprout Brook Fields in Cortlandt. These fields will allow us night games if necessary. Peekskill only has one softball field and no lights, so that would make for either a very small tournament or a very long tournament at one game at a time.

2) Dates are not set, we are trying to figure out what dates will work based on summer vacations, summer leagues,etc... We thought a weekend toward the end of June, but we are not sure that would allow enough "advertising" time to get teams to play. So we may be looking at August, as September is a bad month because of conventions and July is just too hot.

3) Entry will be open to all who want to field a team. We are hoping it will be mostly FD's & PD teams, but we are grateful to any who want to enter and support the construction of the memorial.

I will post the information as soon as it is finalized.

Ok, here is the official information on the tournament:

1st Annual Sam Oitice Memorial One Pitch Softball Tournament

Saturday July 26, 2008

Sprout Brook Fields

Sprout Brook Rd

Cortlandt Manor, NY

Start Time: TBD

Entry :P Donation: $250

Anyone that wants more info or to sign up send me a note.

I would have to ask around my department but I am sure I could drum up a team is there a maximum members per team? and would it be co-ed

I am sure we will be there

Seeing this is the first year and we are not really sure how the logistics are going to work, we are going with the first 12 teams to sign up. Each team will be guaranteed 3 games and it is co-ed with no minimum or maximum number of males/females. Just a 10 player minimum on the field.

We are going to stress the FUN in FUNdraiser. We want everyone to have a good time and still raise some much needed cash to finish the memorial.

Now with that all being said if we get more than 12 teams that want to play we will have to extend the tournament to two days and we discussed it tonight at the memorial committee meeting that we probably will extend the number of teams if we get a good response.

Those folks that are interested please send me an address to mail the information to.

Thanks!