Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Bronx- 3rd Alarm Brush Fire-NYPD Aviation 4/24

21 posts in this topic

Where was the brush fire? That sure does look like the parking lot of Orchard Beach/Pelham Bay Park.

North end of the park, near the lagoon.

is it usual to respond ladder trucks to brush fires,we don't do that over here in oz.

Yes they're used for manpower, observation platform, structure protection, etc.

That bird is not nearly as "pretty" as WCPD Air-2.... Is it Chris192?

Be nice to see FDNY get their own helicopter to do their own work.

The need for an FDNY helicopter has been proven over and over. Two things stopping that (1) A coward administration of FDNY and (2) nypd.

The need for an FDNY helicopter has been proven over and over. Two things stopping that (1) A coward administration of FDNY and (2) nypd.

Why does the FDNY need a helicopter?

Has it really? How do you figure? A few brush fires and the designation of an air recon battallion at higher alarms? The training, maintenance, and proficiency requirements for an aviation unit are not insignificant and the NYPD provides the service to the FD whenever needed. How do you justify duplicating resources and expenses when budgets are so tight?

And obviously some people think that money (ie taxes) grow on trees and that people can afford everything they want. Must be nice to be you!

Didn't you hear!? We're getting a helicoptoer!

It just happens to be permanently afixed to the top of a training tower at The Rock for roof ops repeling.......... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it'd be kinda nice, but it would be good if Tower Ladder companies got Tower Ladder spares instead of a rear mount like they do.

Rigs that work 1st, some other stuff and a helicopter somewhere down the priority list.

Edited by M' Ave

did enine 72 or satelite2 go in on this?

Why does the FDNY need a helicopter?

I'd like to hear the answer to this question as well. If someone can articulate why the FD needs to establish their own aviation unit and/or what calls are not being responded to through the existing relationship with the PD I'd appreciate it.

What fire calls warrant a helicopter response that don't receive them?

How many of these calls are there?

What should/will the FD give up in order to get its own aviation unit? Nobody in civil service gets anything for nothing and invariably something else is sacrificed. Would it be better to have six less engine companies and four less ladder companies in the city to pay for a helicopter that goes out once a month (once a month is pure speculation until someone answers my other question about how many calls the FD needs a helicopter for)? Or should there be an across the boards reduction in pay to subsidize it?

If this is all about "them" having one and "us" not having one - paint all the helicopters white with just New York City on it and get past it. It takes years to make a competent emergency services pilot and costs millions to run a 24/7 operation. It's got to be done right or else not at all.

To answer those questions it would take much time and im afraid would fall on deaf ears.

The FDNY has had 4 Ladder companies that are trained in hi rise roof operations that require a helicopter. The nypd aviation unit has to my knowledge never had a problem in drilling with these guys, but, these units have never been "picked up" when they were truely needed.

There are many documents written on the need for an FDNY helicopter but, as it goes, the politics is way too much and it will most likely not happen.

Let us not forget that for over 10 years EMS has been part of the FDNY. As of now the nypd does the medivacs in nyc. Granted there are not to many of these,and they have done well im sure. But this is another area that an FD helicopter could be used and thus free the nypd to fly around and look for bad guys.

I dont see the need in the FDNY giving up anything in order to get something that is needed. That would be like asking the PD to give up 5 thousand street cops to fund their new haz mat units.

This is not nor has it ever been a tit for tat subject. The fact is that the FDNY was offered a helicopter thru federal money. The cowards that lead that Department turned it down. Now, thats no ones fault and can only be blamed on the incompetant leadership of the FDNY and corrupt politics of NYC.

Edited by fdonthejob

To answer those questions it would take much time and im afraid would fall on deaf ears.

The FDNY has had 4 Ladder companies that are trained in hi rise roof operations that require a helicopter. The nypd aviation unit has to my knowledge never had a problem in drilling with these guys, but, these units have never been "picked up" when they were truely needed.

There are many documents written on the need for an FDNY helicopter but, as it goes, the politics is way too much and it will most likely not happen.

Let us not forget that for over 10 years EMS has been part of the FDNY. As of now the nypd does the medivacs in nyc. Granted there are not to many of these,and they have done well im sure. But this is another area that an FD helicopter could be used and thus free the nypd to fly around and look for bad guys.

I dont see the need in the FDNY giving up anything in order to get something that is needed. That would be like asking the PD to give up 5 thousand street cops to fund their new haz mat units.

This is not nor has it ever been a tit for tat subject. The fact is that the FDNY was offered a helicopter thru federal money. The cowards that lead that Department turned it down. Now, thats no ones fault and can only be blamed on the incompetant leadership of the FDNY and corrupt politics of NYC.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, when were the hi-rise crews "truly needed" but not picked up?

Your kidding, right?

There have been numerous occasions, which have been documented.

FDNY doesn't need a helicopter any more than NYPD or Transit need Haz Mat units. What FDNY needs is a stronger commitment from the NYPD. Waiting 30 minutes to get a chief in the air is ridiculous. I have yet to hear about the roof teams being requested let alone requested and not provided. The excuse that Transit needs a haz mat unit because of the "unique challenges" the transit system presents is such a joke. They could very easily provide trained members to assist FDNY at a hazmat incident much the same way FDNY provides an air-recon chief and roof rescue teams for aviation.

In my 11 years in Dispatch Operations, I have never ONCE heard a request for a High Rise Roof Team. As much as I would like to see us have a helo so we don't have to depend on PD for water drops or air recon, I honestly don't feel the city is going to spring for it. This isn't LA, where the terrain and fire conditions necessitate the need for aerial firefighting, recon, or SAR/Medevac. The frequency in which we need aerial support aren't enough to justify it. Sorry, guys.