Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Very Nasty Rescue

13 posts in this topic

I dated a girl in college who was (might still be) a member in Montgomory Co. Maryland. Check out their Rescue... It's the bottom right pic on the apparatus picture page.

http://www.ldvfd.org/apparatus.htm

Twin Federal Q's

Twin PA100's

Twin Mars lights

All on the front bumper...

If I recall... They have a switch in the cab that pins one of the Q's at full speed until you step on the siren switch. At that time it kills the first Q and spins up the other... I'm not a huge buff when it comes to lights and sires... But I love mechanical sirens... One going up while the other comes down is really cool. Put the PA 100's one on wail the other on yelp and this thing screams going down the road... All it needs now is a set of freight train locomotive air horns like some of the PG county nutz have done. :twisted:

Captain, that is a beautiful thing..... Awesome rig !! 8)

I agree, that Rescue is HOT!

Having one "Q" has always caused major power draws on apparatus. Adding a 2nd has got be a nightmare on the alternator!!

"Tremble those who hear my thunder !!" This baby will clear an intersection........

If you have a cautious driver, and always go left, and wait for traffic to go right, 1 electric siren, 1 Q2, and a standard air horn are more than enough warning. Anything beyond this is pretty ridiculous. Not only is it more of an expense on the cost of the rig, it places incredible stress on the electrical(Q2) and air (airhorn) systems. All these extra sirens and horns are enough to make any civilian drivers "freeze" in traffic, and therefore they will be SLOWER to get out of your way. Remember, you are asking permission for right of way, not taking it.

good point mstrang1, but they do look good, and just because they put them all on the rig doesnt mean they have to use them all. Im sure they are all operational, but you never know, they could just be for show.

[mfc says]If I recall... They have a switch in the cab that pins one of the Q's at full speed until you step on the siren switch. At that time it kills the first Q and spins up the other.

Seems to me they are both functional......

I created this post more out of amusement following the size of the enormus tractor/trailer rescue posted before it...you know, a little humor.... Not necessarily to be taken seriouslly as something any department near us should consider.

Yes both Q's were functional the last time I saw the rig in person.

On a side note... The traffic in the metro DC/Baltimore area is so bad that several of the departments that cover the Capital Beltway as well as the I95-I83 corridor have attempted to increase the power of their audible warning systems not to blast people off the road (although I'm sure some use them to do that) but rather so that the warning will carry further in an attempt to start moving traffic out of the way well before the apparatus encounters it.

Also with regards to Q's putting strains on alternators... Usually apparatus with twin Q's or other demanding warning systems have twin alternators. Large air horn systems like that have thier own 3 gallon air tank and do not scavange off the primary air horn/brake system.

I'm alright with it as a laugh, but still that super buff crap bothers me. There are lots of busy a hard working fire depts without a decent rig, let alone having the ability to waste money on stupid crap. This is a job, not a hobby.

Only one of the Q sirens on Squad 17 is functional. They put the second one for looks.