Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Keyless Entry On Fire Apparatus

5 posts in this topic

Recently, I had the chance participate in a demo of a Pierce Velocity Engine.

This apparatus was equipped with keyless entry, just like a car remote. As a backup, there's a keypad next to the drivers door to enter a combination, as well as a manual overide switch underneath the chasis for further backup.

I thought this was a great idea, especially for urban and career departments that may have to leave their apparatus outside in various circumstances. I hope to see it become standard equipment.

I'd like to see that on ambulances!

The only issue comes with ex-employees or members gaining access to apparatus. You'd have to change the code on a regular basis. If they knew about the backup safety, they could just open it anyhow.

Our ambulances both have the manual override, only the drivers are supposed to know the location but in reality everyone tends to figure it out or see's the driver doing it.

Our newer ambulance (2003 PL Custom) has the keyless entry system.

Ambulances have had keyless entry for a long while now, at least 10 years.

It's only recently that I've seen them on custom-built fire truck chasis.

The only thing it would stop is some one taking the truck or something in the cab. The compartments is where all the money is at with tools and things of that nature. I think it will create a false sense of security to leave the rig unattended. And as stated above it wouldn't be long before everyone knew the codes or overrides. Can you disengage it once you get to the fire ground or other scene? If someone needed to grab the TIC or something in the cab and its locked then you are out of luck.