Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

Mutual Aid

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone address the reason why New Canaan does not use Norwalk for mutual aid to working fires? It seems that NFD has been totally "cut-off" based on the number of previous fires that New Canaan had and the absence of Norwalk in any capacity. It seems that the aid is not particularly "mutual", considering every Norwalk fire that depletes NFD resources results in New Canaan either providing station coverage or RIT duties. Don't get me wrong, I don't care to sit at New Canaan's firehouse during a fire, but it just seems odd that there has been this disconnect.

JVC

Joe: Has there been a change in leadership, ie new chief, new ops chief, or maybe a change in SOPs from the department. My guess is to check with the "brothers" in New Canann for the answer.

I'm pretty sure that when New Canaan calls for mutual aid they call for the deptartments that are close to the fire location. Maybe the recent fires in New Canaan have not been on the Norwalk side of town?

Edited by CTFF

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like most of the mutual aid New Canaan brings in is for tankers. Depending on where the fire is, I usually see Noroton Heights, Vista, Ridgefield, Pound Ridge, South Salem getting called up there.

I don't know of any changes in our mutual aid policy with Norwalk Fire for working fires. The mutual aid coming in is decided by where the fire is in the town. New Canaan is cut up into sections and each section has a SET response for mutual aid. Our dispatch center receives the info from the caller/IC and uses its CAD system to dispatch the appropriate Companies. Maybe there has not been any fires in the section that Norwalk is SET to respond too. I don't think the disconnect is on purpose... Just the location of the fires. Hope this clears up the issue. ?

I don't know of any changes in our mutual aid policy with Norwalk Fire for working fires. The mutual aid coming in is decided by where the fire is in the town. New Canaan is cut up into sections and each section has a SET response for mutual aid. Our dispatch center receives the info from the caller/IC and uses its CAD system to dispatch the appropriate Companies. Maybe there has not been any fires in the section that Norwalk is SET to respond too. I don't think the disconnect is on purpose... Just the location of the fires. Hope this clears up the issue. ?

It was never really an "issue", more just a question. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

While I have no authority to speak on behalf of "dispatch" for New Canaan Fd & EMS in regards to policies or procedures, I will say that Norwalk FD is on the call list for responses. As someone previously noted, depending on the area of town tankers are on the list as first calls and the town is broken up into response grids.

Edited by SWEMCC70

EMTBravo dispatch to all members: Djonker and Car11 report to this topic ASAP! :P

Joe, EMTBravo member DJonker is the Fire Chief of New Canaan and Car11 is a Career firefighter in NC. Either one has to know something.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman