Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

What every (future) officer needs to read & FF's should

5 posts in this topic

I often relay this in my classes and many students have said they appreciate the insight especially after reading them. Any officer who hasn't is doing an injustice to themselves, those they are over and their position. These are in any specific order but are both important and critical in giving great info. Based on the number of other emergencies and the bigger easier to read print, I'd probably start with the Routine Emergencies. Very very good info in that book about many of the things we respond to, like CO calls etc.

The Vinnie Dunn book is an eye opener on what to look for, what can occur and the little things that may save your @ss one day. Anyone in my class, you will notice some of the things I pass along are in this book, but you won't find it in IFSTA. The hazmat book gives insight into hazmat that is simple, but also deals with several compounds we deal with often to give you a better understanding of why you should do things a certain way, and why and how it may react differently if you don't. Broken down into good sections so you can read things you feel you need to know first, I always hit flammable liquids and gases first, we deal with that the most often. Propane, natural gase, hydrocarbon fuels etc. These books will make you a better firefighter and officer!

1. Collapse of Burning Buildings by Vinnie Dunn

2. Responding to Routine Emergencies by Frank Montagna

3. The Common Sense Approach to Hazardous Materials by Frank L. Fire

Another thing to pass along, the Faculty/Student Association of the NYS Academy of Fire Science operates a bookstore/clothing store out of Montour Falls Academy. They give 15% discounts on Pennwell books which these are and free shipping! And the money is used for us to buy things around the academy that are comfort type items and nice to have things that the budget won't cover. You can see them at: www.fireacademyfsa.com, I would do all business over the phone and they are very very polite. They also have some of the T-shirts they sell on the site also.

Frank L. Fire

Great name for someone in the fire service! :D I'll have to check out his book. I've been meaning to expand my knowledge of Hazmat.

I've read the book from John Norman "Fire Officer's Handbook of Tactics." I loved it!!! Highly recommend it!!

Excellent reading list ALS. I'll be picking them up to read over the long winter ahead.

Any other books or video's a up and coming officer should get his hands on? i just bought Responding to Routine Emergencies and will be reading that quite a bit. there is alot of crap out there and i am looking for the ones that offer the most info with the least amount of fluff included. i know every book has it's advantages but i think that alot of guys are looking to learn as much as possible and then try and pass that on to the next guy so we can all work safer and stay out off the LODD list.