Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Economic Stimulus Payment PHISHING SCAM!

10 posts in this topic

Today I received an email...sender showed as the IRS, wanted me to click a link and put in direct deposit information for the Economic Stimulus check. I don't think that the IRS would do this, as they released information that if you elected for direct deposit on your income tax return they would use that same info. And if you chose to receive a check for your return, then you would receive a check. Be wary if you get this email...it smells like a phishing Scam and I reported it to microsoft via Hotmail...where it was sent. I will check the IRS site often to see if anything comes of it, but I wouldn't answer it nor click any of the links!

Edited by Oswegowind

From the IRS Website:

IRS Warns of New E-Mail and Telephone Scams Using the IRS Name; Advance Payment Scams Starting

Updated April 21, 2008

Some people have received phone calls about the economic stimulus payments, in which the caller impersonates an IRS employee. The caller asks the taxpayer for their Social Security and bank account numbers, claiming that the IRS needs the information to complete the processing of the taxayer's payment. In reality, the IRS uses the information contained on the taxpayer's tax return to process stimulus payments, rather than contacting taxpayers by phone or e-mail.

An e-mail claiming to come from the IRS about the "2008 Economic Stimulus Refund" tells recipients to click on a link to fill out a form, apparently for direct deposit of the payment into their bank account. This appears to be an identity theft scheme to obtain recipients' personal and financial information so the scammers can clean out their victims' financial accounts. In reality, taxpayers do not have to fill out a separate form to get a stimulus payment or have it directly deposited; all they had to do was file a tax return and provide direct deposit information on the return

Yeah, definitely another scam to be aware of. My stimulus payment was automatically deposited, didn't have to do anything. Be interesting to see how many people actually fall for it, unfortunately.

What is Phishing?:

Wikipedia's Answer

In computing, phishing is an attempt to criminally and fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. PayPal, eBay and online banks are common targets. Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail or instant messaging,[1] and often directs users to enter details at a website, although phone contact has also been used.[2]

Click on Wiki Link to view full article!

How to Recognize Phishing, by Microsoft

Phishing, brought to you by the SEC.gov

Federal Trade Commission offers advice on Phishing.

Last, but not least, the FDIC gets in on protecting us Americans from the American Dream of Phishing!

Here is the Schedule of the economic stimulus distribution...now you know when you are getting your money!

Taken from the IRS.gov...Click here to view full article!

DIRECT DEPOSIT

Last two SSN digits: Payments will be transmitted no later than:

00 through 20 May 2

21 through 75 May 9

76 through 99 May 16

Paper checks will also go out based on Social Security number. For Social Security numbers ending in 00 through 09, the paper checks will be mailed starting May 9 and will continue through May 16. A similar process will be repeated in the following weeks.

Please allow additional delivery time, perhaps 3 to 5 days, since the paper checks are being sent through the mail.

PAPER CHECK

Last two SSN digits: Payments will be mailed no later than:

00 through 09 May 16

10 through 18 May 23

19 through 25 May 30

26 through 38 June 6

39 through 51 June 13

52 through 63 June 20

64 through 75 June 27

76 through 87 July 4

88 through 99 July 11

Yeah, definitely another scam to be aware of. My stimulus payment was automatically deposited, didn't have to do anything. Be interesting to see how many people actually fall for it, unfortunately.

You got yours already? Still waiting for mine but I heard that the direct deposits were going out first and I requested a check I believe. So i guess mine should be coming soon hopefully.

You got yours already? Still waiting for mine but I heard that the direct deposits were going out first and I requested a check I believe. So i guess mine should be coming soon hopefully.

Look up...I put the schedule on here...you will know exactly when yours is coming...

Look up...I put the schedule on here...you will know exactly when yours is coming...

HAHA thanks I missed that.

I was at the bank getting a check for my Nigerian lottery winnings when I heard some other people on line talking about this IRS scam. You can never be too careful!