Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

What's Going on in the OC 5/15/08?

10 posts in this topic

Anyone know what is going on in Orange County? I heard the OC ask RC for it's TRT and HM Teams.

From RocklandFires.com there is a trench collapse in Kiryas Joel. Occurred approx 1935.

Edited by SteveOFD

I was just coming on to ask the same question. I passed a RC convoy of SUV's with trailers coming through Bear Mtn/Harriman park.

I then passed by Monroe FD and saw several M/A units standing by in addition to a HazMat heavy rescue (yellow in color, couldn't make out where it was from.)

From RocklandFires.com there is a trench collapse in Kiryas Joel. Occurred approx 1935.

You have to be a member to use that site. Requires name and password.

Wow. Calling in TRT four hours into the incident?

UPDATE: Rescuers free man trapped in trench collapse

Keith Goldberg

May 15, 2008

KIRYAS JOEL — After nearly four hours, specialized rescue workers have freed a man trapped in a ditch by a cavein.

Rubin Duque, 20, was trapped up to his neck in what described as an 8-foot deep ditch at 154 Acres Road. Officials at the scene said that the Duque and his brother, Saul Duque, 24, were working for DT Enterprises of Unionville, digging a ditch behind the multi-family building for pipes used for footing drains to drain water away from the building.

When the ditch collapsed, Rubin was in the ditch with a shovel while his brother Saul was using a backhoe, according to officials at the scene. After the collapse Saul attempted to dig his brother out.

The original call came in shortly after 6 p.m. as an unknown type of rescue at the above location. Soon after the call went out that it was a ditch collapse and the trench rescue teams from Goshen, Mechanicstown and Monticello were called to the scene.

Firemen stabilized the trench with bracing and setting up flood lights.

Officials on site say that the victim is conscious and talking. A large truck mounted vacuum was used to suck up dirt from around Duque.

He was freed from the ditch about 9:45, loaded onto a gurney. People at the scene said he appeared to talking to rescuers as he was loaded into an ambulance.

http://recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...5/NEWS/80515030

Buried alive and lives to tell about it...sounds like a predicament I would rather avoid. And as for the large vacuum truck, is this an emergency vehicle or did they borrow it from somewhere...I wonder.

Incident Alert - as posted by Ace84

Edited by Oswegowind

Didn't realize that. Not much posted there besides what is posted above from recordonline.com.

. And as for the large vacuum truck, is this an emergency vehicle or did they borrow it from somewhere...I wonder.

Tt's called a suck truck (well my old comp. call's it)when i worked with heavy equmt. we had one it will suck almost anything good for sucking water out of ditches after you dig them and it rain's they most have called a contractor

So sign up for a free account, we welcome people from all over, not just Rockland. If any buffs took the job in, there will be photos posted on the incident alert. The RRTRT was called @ 1932 hours and was staging at the top of Route 6 overlooking Orange County if they were needed, which they never were. The Hazmat Team was requested to stage at the FTC in Pomona @ 2020 hrs. The victim was removed from the trench shortly before 2200 hrs. I was told 7 Fire Departments & 2 Specialized Teams were on scene operating.

. And as for the large vacuum truck, is this an emergency vehicle or did they borrow it from somewhere...I wonder.

Tt's called a suck truck (well my old comp. call's it)when i worked with heavy equmt. we had one it will suck almost anything good for sucking water out of ditches after you dig them and it rain's they most have called a contractor

In Westchester we call Con-Ed. They said if we needed one they will bring it to us.