Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Training Officer Requirements

5 posts in this topic

This topic may or may not have been discussed before but what are your requirements to conduct training in your departments? Do you require any type of specialized training? Does conducting training come with being a line officer? Is it a seperate position than line officers? Allthough I welcome all opinions and comments my question is directed to volunteer depts because I know in career depts they have MTO's who have to be certified instructors by NYS.

Good question Andy.

Our Department has a Training Division that coordinates and conducts all Department Training. We host two training sessions per month (in addition to Company and FAST training). We are also working on the department's minimum training requirements and we help write SOGs.

Our Training Division is made up of several members and officers including five NYS Certified FSI 1's. We have a member who is a college professor at NYU and a dentist who handles our bloodborne pathogens and other medical related instruction. Also, we have five ASHI certified CPR/BLS Instructors rounding out our unit. Nobody on this unit has less than 10 years of experience in the Department.

It's a good mix of past, present and future officers who all have a desire to better the department in any way we can.

Great question to ask and a great answer from "585" also include NFPA requirements for Safety Officers and NFPA quaification for Fire Officers. but as stated in other areas of this fourm the AHJ has the right to determine the standards for their department.

Training Officers around here are usually a junior chief officer

How about to be appointed Deputy Chief what is everyones requirements to be appointed?

We try to give the job to a qualified officer Capt. or above. At this time we are lucky to have 4 nationally certified FI 1's including all three chiefs. I think its a must to have instructor training becuase it enhances your delivery. And having more than one is really helpful to keep it fresh and keep the members interested. Also we bring in outside experts to do specialized topics Haz-Mat, Tech Rescue, ect.