Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Manhattan- Another Major Emergency Crane Collapse Upper East Side 5-30-08

19 posts in this topic

It's unbelievable that another crane collapse of this magnitude has taken place. Looking at the footage currently on TV, there's some massive damage to the building across the street.

This also documents the magnitutde of incidents that occur in NYC........I can't even imagine coordinating the logisitcs of an incident like this. How is it really safe to search? That buidling across the street doesn't look stable, and how would you even stabilize a building or a crane in a situation like this?

Moreoever, how do things like this even occur? I mean, it's probaly a freak coincidence, but is this going to affect construction cranes like this in the future? I'm sure this crane was scrutinized after the last collapse.

Thoughts and prayers are with all involved.

I can't believe this has happened again! I was working EMS for the crane collapse on East 50th Street. I must say that the city's Police, Fire and EMS did a great job on that disaster scene. Things that day were very well coordinated with a great incident command system in place right away.

News reports state 1 person killed 2 critical @ this time

I think that after this incident the City SHOULD rethink their recent; 2 day old, law change about not having building inspectors present during crane moving.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Stay Safe.

the article said one of the two construction workers was in cardiac arrest. i would assume this man was a save, since the only death reported was of the crane operator. anyone have further info on this?

Edited by vacguy

the article said one of the two construction workers was in cardiac arrest. i would assume this man was a save, since the only death reported was of the crane operator. anyone have further info on this?

Fox News Ch reports 2nd person has died.

Box 1191, Transmitted at 0806:

Engines:22,53,44. Ladders: 13,43, Batt 10, R-1.

0807:Fill out Major Collapse Response: Rescue Batt. RC-1/L-25, R3-3/RC-3, Tac-1, SOC Compressor, L-14(SSL) Field Comm,Squad 41.

0808: Div-3, Safety Bn.

0810: E-53 and L-43 10-84, Confirming Collapse

0812: Div-3 advises Batt 10 set up Command Post.

0813: Div-3 Transmitting 10-6/2nd Alarm

To Fill 10-60: Battalions:11,12,9,16, SOC Liason, Sq-1 w/TRV, E-93/MCC-2, L-7(SSL)

To Fill out 2nd Alarm: Engines: 91,39,58,74. Ladders:16,26,22(FAST). Div-6, RAC-1, E-9/SAT-1.

0816: Batt 10 rpts Confirmed Collapse of Crane, Damage to 354 E 91 Street. L-43 is removing 1 person, 2 possible DOA's.

0819:S/C E-76 to fill out 2nd Alarm, Haz Mat Batt to fill out 10-60.

0819:Staging Area will be 1st Avenue and East 92 Street. Command Post is East 91 and 1st Avenue.

0825: Con Ed requested for Vacuum Truck.

0827: 10-47 to shut down 2nd Avenue from 96th street south.

0843: S/C Batt 20 as planning Chief, and E-262 with IMT Vehicle.

0858: Div-3 reports crane came off 333-335 East 91 Street.

0905: Div-3 reports Primary search is negative with the exception of the 22nd Floor of 354 East 91.

1009: Car 4(Chief McNally Chief of Ops) reports: 1 confirmed DOA, 1 Critical, 1 injured. 8 buildings evacuated.

1404: FDNY Rescue Medics still searching with members.

Since then, numerous relief companies special called. Not sure how we're gonna be doing reliefs, probably every 3 hours to 6 hours for the next few days.

Edited by JBE

What is the IMT vehicle with E-262?

What is the IMT vehicle with E-262?

That is a support vehicle for the FD's incident management team (IMT). The FDNY has two type 2 IMT's that have been developed since 2001.

About the vehicle:

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/v...eleases/140839/

About the FDNY IMT's:

WNYF articles

WNYF2.pdf WNYF3.pdf

http://199.134.225.50/nwcc/t1_pnw3/nyfd_in..._WebVersion.pdf

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/Firefighters....s.2.236527.html

You name a Haz-Tac or Rescue Medic bus, they were assigned.

You name a Haz-Tac or Rescue Medic bus, they were assigned.

Its amazing how quickly they can go available from the hospital and from RMA's to be assigned to the MCI.

Are you serious?!?! You've never rushed out of the ER to go buff a job??? You are the most righteous EMT ever!!! We should all be like you!!!

See, you've all ready gone and let your ego mess this up. Its not about EMT's vs Paramedics. The biggest offender in the Bronx is a Henry unit. This also isn't something specific to just Haz Tac units. Always got a chuckle out of hearing a unit refuse a job and then manage to get flagged or suddenly come available when they found out it was a "good" call. Now that all being said it happened at the Deutschebank Fire and again on Friday where this one particular unit was not exactly polite and very clear that they were unavailable when asked, yet suddenly became available once the dispatcher announced the MCI over the air. It was a stupid little side comment that is both accurate and not a personal attack on you and you went and made it personal. Relax and have a safe tour.

Edited by ny10570

It was a stupid little side comment that is both accurate and not a personal attack on you and you went and made it personal.

Agreed on the above comment. Let's keep this thread on topic, and objective. No need to drag it down to a personal level or attack someone else for their personal opinion. Treat others here likke you would expect to be treat.

Had family on the first due engine and truck companies. Serious job for sure, but it's nothing the City can't handel. Best efforts are commendable by all on the scene.

From re-reading the post, i see where it wasn't a personal attack on me (as you don't know me), but an attack on another unit nontheless, taking this thread off-topic (something i'm now being scolded for). It is unfair to make broad, and innacurate, generalizations (you said they so i thought you were refering to muliple units) I am certain that if you feel this strongly about this Henry unit, you have been professional (and man) enough to approach them in the ED and discuss your issues with them, right? Since you've shared your displeasure with them, mind sharing what their point of view was when you talked about it?

This is not about ego. Some of us don't like to be lumped into categories based solely on what letter is in our unit's designation.

I also did not intend to make this an EMT vs. paramedic thing. According to your avatar you are an EMT , so i refered to you as one.

I'd love to take this to PM, but I can't so...this wasn't an attack on a particular unit either. My comment about the BLS unit was only to explain that this wasn't ALS vs BLS. I have talked to this unit and shockingly enough he doesn't care what I think. Can you believe it?!?! Someone who doesn't care that his crap attitude is forcing other units to pick up the slack doesn't care what another EMT has to say. Their philosophy is that they work hard enough and have earned their 30 minutes minimum after every job to sit and stare in to space.

My comment was absolutely accurate. As soon as they became aware of the crane collapse units came available. The only reason this damn thing is about the SOC units is because they were the ones called. If it makes you feel better a Victor unit went out no response for a seizure today but were miraculously available for the fire moments later and I'll pay closer attention tomorrow to who is dragging their feet.

I don't get why you have taken such offense to this. This is common amongst ALS and BLS both when there's a good job waiting or its a late job. Its no different than when Volunteer FD's turn out one rig after 10 minutes for a automatic on Saturday afternoon but manage all rigs on the road in the same time for a working fire or VACS that can't get a bus on the road for the sick old lady but have buses on stand-by for the multiple car mva on the highway. Its the same everywhere, PD isn't exactly racing to secure doors we have kicked in and lift assists for some reason don't get the same vigorous response that working fires get. We all get tired of the mundane and crave the exciting jobs that we often spend a lot of extra time and energy training for but don't get to be a part of as often.

This is not a knock or an insult on anyone but rather a comment on what really happened. If you can't deal with that then I don't know what else to say. If you were not holding signal so you could flirt with the registration clerk (or what ever other BS reason we hold signal) until you heard about the collapse then I'm even further confused by your anger.