Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

Westchester County PD: Traffic Units?

13 posts in this topic

Hey what exactly are the "Traffic" designated units dispatched on Westchester County PD? Are they part of a aggressive driving detail?

Overtime!!!! lol

No they are not an overtime detail they are enforcement cars they hit certain accident prone and areas where speed and other violations are heavy.

The also have the sheriffs dept (volunteers)

The also have the sheriffs dept (volunteers)

The "sheriffs" you refer to don't do any type of enforcement - they're almost exclusively for traffic direction and control at special events. They can also be mobilized for disasters (I think they were during Tropical Storm Floyd) but they're not out with the traffic guys.

when i went to the Katonah parade a guy block a street had the sheriff shirt on in a westchester car

The "sheriffs" you refer to don't do any type of enforcement - they're almost exclusively for traffic direction and control at special events. They can also be mobilized for disasters (I think they were during Tropical Storm Floyd) but they're not out with the traffic guys.

yea they can handle traffic situations as requested, but they mostly do special events...and end up handling traffic anyways. i was going to do the sheriff , but the mini academy was a committment for 2 weeks worth of evenings which i couldn't do last year...and still can't lol

when i went to the Katonah parade a guy block a street had the sheriff shirt on in a westchester car

I believe those are referred to as "Parks"units right?

i don't know i really didn't read the patch or any thing

Nope, parks units are just that: police officers assigned to parks patrols. The "Public Safety Emergency Force" (PSEF) is the group of volunteer peace officers that wear the green/tan uniforms and drive the sheriff cars. They're essentially an auxiliary arm of the Department of Public Safety.

Yes they are at the Katonah Parade the Bedford Police have been using them to assist the last 8 years , they work out well espically as the Fire Police are dwindling.

They also worked the pville parade this year and for as long as I can remember. The cars are the same as county cars but instead of saying "police" the say "sheriff" on the sides.

And for those of you who may or may not have noticed, there is a Deputy Sheriffs car parked on the Saw Mill southbound just before Green Lane. Nice little speed trap decoy.