Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RocklandFires

West Nyack (Rockand) Construction Accident 6/16/08

13 posts in this topic

At 12 noon on Monday 6/16/08 the West Nyack Fire Department, Nyack Ambulance Corp., Rockland Paramedics [Medic 5] & the Clarkstown Police were all dispatched for a construction accident at the Shoprite at 243 Route 59 in West Nyack. Fire Dispatch advised responding units of a crane that collapsed with a worker trapped by a steel beam, also reporting the possibility of a high angle rescue, then a report the crane was on fire. 1st arriving units found a scissor lift and steel beams collapsed onto an excavator. The south side of the building was in the process of being demolished due to it sinking. The worker was on the scissor lift using a torch to cut the steel beam, when both collapsed. The worker suffered several minor injuries and was transported to Nyack Hospital after being removed from the scissor lift by the West Nyack Fire Departments Tower Ladder.

http://www.BrianDuddy.com/g/wn061608

DSC_5836-1.jpg

DSC_5845-1.jpg

DSC_5860-1.jpg

DSC_5875.jpg

DSC_5883.jpg

http://www.BrianDuddy.com/g/wn061608

Nice pictuers!!!!!!!!!!! How far into the call was the 1st photo taken? All I see up there is a cop(no gear, no harness, no Bsi) Is the jack stable to have people on it at that time? If so, how did you guys stabilize that? Looks like it would a be hard one!!! Not saying anytthing is wrong with the cop up there, But as the IC and the way the jack is, I am thinking I want the only people that are trained only the ones you need.(Medics and people trained to package and ropes)Hey I don't how they run in West Nyack maybe the cop has all that training. I know people want to help and get into the action thats great. I see all the time where I work and I think one day somebody is going to get hurt.

Edited by DR104

Is this the brand new Shoprite across Route 59 from the Palisdades Mall?

Rockland has been busy lately! Excellent photos, thanks for sharing!

They did call in the TRT team, though it's not evident from those photos.

They did call in the TRT team, though it's not evident from those photos.

Yes, it's the brand new Shoprite on Route 59 in West Nyack across from the Palisades Center Mall.

24-1 [West Nyack Fire Chief] put the RRTRT [Rockland Regional Technical Rescue Team] on standby immediately after he was told by 44-Control dispatchers that there was a possibility of a high angle rescue needed. They were requested to standby at the Rockland County Fire Training Center in Pomona and await a response, which never happened.

The photos were taken about 5 minutes into the initial dispatch. I live in the next town over, doesn't take me that long to get there. I couldn't get close enough to the scene to comment on stability, etc. All I know is that PD was on scene 1st, EMS & FD arrived shortly after that.

Yes, it is starting to get busier in Rockland, just waiting on the next job ! Hard to photograph the jumper from the Tappan Zee Bridge from last night.

From experience cops tend to be more concerned with BSI than anyone else and since in the next photo what appears to be the same officer is wearing gloves, so I'm willing to assume he was practicing BSI the whole time. That much steel when it falls is going to do a pretty good job of stabilizing itself. I'm willing to bet the roof of that excavator was pretty well deformed to the shape of the steel beam. Good call on the TL. Trying to take someone off that mess by hand would have been a trip.

Nice pictuers!!!!!!!!!!! How far into the call was the 1st photo taken? All I see up there is a cop(no gear, no harness, no Bsi) Is the jack stable to have people on it at that time? If so, how did you guys stabilize that? Looks like it would a be hard one!!! Not saying anytthing is wrong with the cop up there, But as the IC and the way the jack is, I am thinking I want the only people that are trained only the ones you need.(Medics and people trained to package and ropes)Hey I don't how they run in West Nyack maybe the cop has all that training. I know people want to help and get into the action thats great. I see all the time where I work and I think one day somebody is going to get hurt.

Great pic's. Good point-I don't see anyone with harness etc. However I agree with ny10570 in that it probably did a great job of stabilizing itself. And on top of that the piece of steel and the base swing arm of the 230C lent a hand in stabilizing. The quickest and best option may have been to utilize any crane at the site to help stabilize the beam.

Two questions- a) what does BSI stand for? and b.) I am sure it varies but what it the tip and/or lifting capacity of a TL?

Great pic's. Good point-I don't see anyone with harness etc. However I agree with ny10570 in that it probably did a great job of stabilizing itself. And on top of that the piece of steel and the base swing arm of the 230C lent a hand in stabilizing. The quickest and best option may have been to utilize any crane at the site to help stabilize the beam.

Two questions- a) what does BSI stand for? and b.) I am sure it varies but what it the tip and/or lifting capacity of a TL?

From what I understand, MOST American ladders are not intentially designed for lifting. However, the METZ aerial company and a few american companies actually rate their ladders for lifting. The tip capacity of a TL varies based on structural components. I believe the maximum tip WEIGHT capacity for TLs are around 1000 pounds as required (?) by NFPA 1903, but as I stated before it varies on the aerial.

This help at all?

Mike

BSI is an EMS acronym that stands from Body Substance Isolation

Edited by bvfdjc316

From what I understand, MOST American ladders are not intentially designed for lifting. However, the METZ aerial company and a few american companies actually rate their ladders for lifting. The tip capacity of a TL varies based on structural components. I believe the maximum tip WEIGHT capacity for TLs are around 1000 pounds as required (?) by NFPA 1903, but as I stated before it varies on the aerial.

This help at all?

Mike

An Aerialscope is like a crane, basically, with a bucket on the end. It has a lot more stength then a typical tower ladder, although I can't quote numbers. It is a very versatile and easy to use apparatus, and durable, too. I believe that's what West Nyack is using. I'm not saying it should be used as a crane, but it is definetly beneficial in technical rescues. I believe that HFD23 has used Hartsdale's TL-15 at one time to effect a technical rescue, as a rigging point.

Aerialscope advertises a 1000lb capacity in any position while flowing at full capacity. That should translate into 1500lbs while not flowing water.

This help at all?

Mike

Thanks for the info. Based on the structural engineering of modern cranes I am surprised that Emergency Veh. Manufacturers havent adopted the engineering of cranes and added the TL or aerial ladder to the concept to extend the lenqth and/or load capacity of FF equipment. It probably has been explored and not used for some reason i.e. cost etc.

Thats what an Aerialscope is in all practicality. It was designed after crane booms. There just isn't much demand in the fire service for scopes and even less for something stronger.