Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Pleasantville, 16 Foxwood Drive 06/22/08

32 posts in this topic

Looking at the photos on Lohud.com Pleasantville and its mutual companies did a great job stopping the fire. I used to live in the complex, and they are a nightmare that Pleasantville is well aware of. Built in the late 1970s, they do not have any firewalls, and have a common attic that span the entire length of the structure. Cheap light weigth construction, most of the second floors of this development are/were not level so the contractors leveled the floors with a plaster like leveling agent, that over the years has begun to break down in a powder (that can absorb water and its weigth).

I could remember a fire there on Xmas eve in 1980 when I first joined Pville's junior corps. I believe it was from a Xmas tree and the very same concerns you presented were discussed rather intensively after the fire. To any of you "old timers" reading these forums who remembers Santa Claus hitting the hydrant off Engine 90?

Just curious, was there an interior attack made? Or was it an immediate defensive position. I know A LOT of elderly reside in Foxwood.

TO me looks like it was immediate defensive position due to concern of structural collapse which in the pics it looks like there was a roof collapse.

grumpy, keep it on the DL, but the firewall stopped this one. Once it was confirmed that all residents were out we went with the surround and drown.

Another good point is that Foxwood will not be able to grandfather in the replaced building that means meeting ALL new codes.

Being there as the ambulance rehab crew, I just wanted to commend the firefighters on a job well done. A scene with that many residents and firefighters and only one minor injury, it was nice to see everyone work together safely.

Thanks to the firefighter that saved the cats : :rolleyes:

Here are a couple video's i shot while on-scene, Not the best quality from my cell phone

Edited by Bababoosky

I could remember a fire there on Xmas eve in 1980 when I first joined Pville's junior corps. I believe it was from a Xmas tree and the very same concerns you presented were discussed rather intensively after the fire. To any of you "old timers" reading these forums who remembers Santa Claus hitting the hydrant off Engine 90?

I remember it very well...i got there right after 90 hit the hydrant; it was a good save as i recall.

What units were on scene?

I know from driving by Pleasantville HQ that afternoon, E-91,E-259, R-47, acting TL5 and U74 were out. In the photos I also see E-260, and Thornwood TL-1.. I also passed Briarcliff's TL-40 enroute to Pleasantville for standby. Anyone else have a full list?

I know from driving by Pleasantville HQ that afternoon, E-91,E-259, R-47, acting TL5 and U74 were out. In the photos I also see E-260, and Thornwood TL-1.. I also passed Briarcliff's TL-40 enroute to Pleasantville for standby. Anyone else have a full list?

Chappaqua TL-27 was set up in rear of the unit

Valhalla R-9 was FAST

Millwood R-36 was casacde

As we were returning, saw a Chappaqua engine in Hays Hose.

I'd like to point out that we rewarded our covering companies with a possible car fire for their troubles. In Pleasantville we like to spread the wealth.

Thornwood TL1 was in the front of the building, and called back the next day to assist residents get personal belongings on the second floor because stairways collapsed or were blocked by all the debris...anyone got any pictures?

I heard over Pville PD scanner that a Thornwood Chief was on scene confirming a structure fire, and Pville originally only sent 1 and 1, is that standard procedure for Pville?

Pleasantville VAC - 7601, 7602, and 7603 were on scene also; treated (26) fireman and transported (1).

Also Hawthorne 63-B1 was on standby in PVAC's HQ.

I am currently sans pager so I only heard the horns, but I believe it was initially dispatched as a minor alarm. That brings 2 engines and our rescue. The one and one you heard was probably 2371 requesting 1 and 1 to stand-by in our quarters when he arrived on scene.

Pleasantville VAC - 7601, 7602, and 7603 were on scene also; treated (26) fireman and transported (1).

Treated 26 firefighters? Was that 26 seen by rehab or was it more???

Thanks!

If memory serves me wasn't that Al Anderson in the santa suit?

Treated 26 firefighters? Was that 26 seen by rehab or was it more???

Thanks!

Sorry - I guess you can see "seen by rehab", but PCRs were written and RMAs obtained. It's a matter of semantics as far as I am concerned, but I am sure there will be a comeback saying that I am wrong!!!

If memory serves me wasn't that Al Anderson in the santa suit?

No, it was Neil McCabe.

Why did you guys go with RMA's instead of just tracking rehab?

No, it was Neil McCabe.

Gamewell is correct that it Was Neil Mccabe. Al was santa for years for the children's Xmas party.

Why did you guys go with RMA's instead of just tracking rehab?

That was one of the "glitches" we noted in our critique. We realized that was a mistake on our part and needs to be corrected.

I had been away and arrived on scene an hour or so in to it. I was very proud of the way my members were handling the situation. They did a great job, despite a couple of minor "glitches". But that's how we learn and strive to improve.

just wondering, was the EMS Batt on this scene?

didnt see this one on lohud so i figured i would post it up... and aerial shot from i beleive thornwoods ladder truck post-15864-1214593901.jpg

Thornwood's Website has more photos check it out, Thornwoodfire.com. should be under call history

Edited by DOC22
Aded Link

anyone else have any other pics

thats one of the best pics i have seen of that fire