Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFD165

1st Annual Sam Oitice Softball Tournament

4 posts in this topic

I am sorry to announce that the 1st Annual Sam Oitice One-Pitch Softball Tournament slated for 7/26 at the Sprout Brook Fields in Cortlandt has been cancelled. The proceeds were to go toward the completion of the 9/11 memorial honoring all 403 fallen firefighters and police officers and the 7 Peekskill volunteer firefighters killed on August 1, 1918 at the Fleischmann Company fire.

Unfortunately, only two teams followed thru with their registration and checks.

The committee is looking into possibly trying a tournament in October.

Sorry to hear that. Sam was a great guy.

You might have better luck doing a couple of smaller events, smokers, card nights, etc. If I recall, Sam was into soul music - I know you guys did the Ronan Tynan fundraiser, how about trying a funk/soul act at the Paramount? I think that could draw from quite a diverse group of people, especially those not related to the fireservice.

Just an idea.

Best of luck with your efforts.

I'm also sorry to hear that your softball tournament was not very well received.

For those who are interested, there is going to be ANOTHER Ronan Tynan performance- The Gift of Christmas Song, at The Paramount Center for The Arts, scheduled Saturday December 20th at 7:30PM.

This is a benefit concert presented by and for the Peekskill Fire Dept. Sam Oitice Heroes Remembered Memorial Committee,

Tickets are now on sale!

The last Ronan Tynan fundraiser concert this past March was an absolutely fantastic performance.

post-128-1205587444.jpgpost-128-1205587550.jpg

PS: PFD165, you might want to enter this date in the event calendar!

Thanks folks for the support and the ideas. We do have the Ronan Concert in December which looks to be on track to be another sellout and we are also working on a September 11 fundraiser with some of our local eateries pitching in to donate a portion of each check and some are also adding in additional ways to raise money that day thru their establishment.

Hopefully we will have 5 or 6 locations that we can advertise for folks to patronize that day and help raise funds to complete the memorial.

We just received the finished design from the Landscape Architecture firm and their estimated cost for completion is in excess of $200,000. We have a very long way to go even if we are successful in securing donated materials and labor. We truly do need the support of all the fire service and law enforcement to complete this memorial.