Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Hudson River Incident 7/28/08

33 posts in this topic

Do any 911 centers around here have wireless enhanced 911 and the ability to locate callers via map and GPS coordinates?

60 Control has Phase 2 cellular 911 capabilities. It has been a great tool in our toolbox of resources.

From an ICS standpoint, it wasn't the best coordinated operation, but it got done and four people were rescued as quickly as possible once they were located.

As the only Chief Officer up at the scene from Westchester, I felt I had a responsibility to relay what was going on, specifically periodic progress reports to CVFD 2132 (on Marine 6 on shore, coordinating things) who was relaying to 60 Control to document the times.

Being someone that doesn't like radios (ha) I never take a portable on the boat, however this call required it. Thanks Mario CVFD for letting me use your portable so we could coordinate things as best as we could.

Hey Chris192, thanks for the light, and offering the hoist to grab gear, I'm just glad we made the extrications without needing that extra stuff!

A SIDE NOTE - Some of our equipment, specifically a green bag with KED and other immob equip. and an orange "Rescue Equipment" box never found it's way back to us. If someone has it, please let me know - THANKS!!!!!

Oh, it was from Croton FD Marine 12 - in case you don't know where I am from.....

Edited by Remember585

Do any 911 centers around here have wireless enhanced 911 and the ability to locate callers via map and GPS coordinates?

I use mapquest...how bad does that sound? I asked the dept. for the "technology" about a year ago! Still hasn't arrived with a bow and ribbon! However, mapquest worked great for me the other night assisting in a possible abduction of a child. T-mobile was able to provide me with the lat/lon of the unit and I typed that into the mapquest lat/lon page (under the normal search is a link for this on mapquest), and bingo the cell phone was located...at Mt. Vernon Police HQ and then they called to tell us the same. The child was of course recovered by members of our detective division and returned to the father in Yonkers!

A SIDE NOTE - Some of our equipment, specifically a green bag with KED and other immob equip. and an orange "Rescue Equipment" box never found it's way back to us. If someone has it, please let me know - THANKS!!!!!
From 585

John, it sleeps with the fishes!

Edited by Oswegowind