Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gamewell45

A7699A signed into law by Governor

10 posts in this topic

Bill A7699A was signed into law by Govenor Patterson Friday. This will allow volunteer Emergency Services Workers to participate in certain municipal public employee health Insurance Plans.

The cost of the participation will be paid for by the volunteers.

Its nice to see the state recognizing the valuable contributions made by the volunteers . Likewise FASNY did an excellent job looking out for the best interests of the volunteers of the State of New York.

The law goes into effect in 180 days from the signing of the Bill.

Edited by gamewell45

Bill A7699A was signed into law by Govenor Patterson Friday. This will allow volunteer Emergency Services Workers to participate in certain municipal public employee health Insurance Plans.

The cost of the participation will be paid for by the volunteers.

Its nice to see the state recognizing the valuable contributions made by the volunteers . Likewise FASNY did an excellent job looking out for the best interests of the volunteers of the State of New York.

The law goes into effect in 180 days from the signing of the Bill.

I don't understand, maybe someone can enlighten me...if "the cost of the participation will be paid for by the volunteers", does this mean that it won't cost the municipality, the state, or other members of the health insurance plan anything, and if so, why not just let everyone participate in "certain municipal employee health Insurance Plans"?

I don't understand, maybe someone can enlighten me...if "the cost of the participation will be paid for by the volunteers", does this mean that it won't cost the municipality, the state, or other members of the health insurance plan anything, and if so, why not just let everyone participate in "certain municipal employee health Insurance Plans"?

I think I'm right in saying that volunteers are treated legally as employees for the purposes of OSHA and workmans comp, so this would seem to be a logical extension of that; they don't receive any compensation but they can join the plan if they're prepared to pay for it.

Mike

Anyone have a link so we can read the bill in its entirety?

Now maybe some help for the Dispatcher Retirement Bill!

Separate but equal from the other services does not work!

Welcome to the party. Like some other bills weve discussed here, i'm not keen on this either.

I"m sure down the road (tho' who knows how long that'll be) you'll see the bill become reality. I'm sure the dispatchers union is working on getting it passed in Albany.

I"m sure down the road (tho' who knows how long that'll be) you'll see the bill become reality. I'm sure the dispatchers union is working on getting it passed in Albany.

It will happen as soon as I am eligible to retire under the current system..... in 25 YEARS!!!!

Just an update about the Dispatchers Retirement after 25 yos. The bill was sent to the Rules Committe in late June.

Here is a status link: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A08596

As of now the Senate/Assembly are on summer recess. As far as I know, when the they come back the bill will have to be resubmitted.

There is also a question about Gov Patterson's support of this bill. In the past he hasn't been very supportive of the PD and Govt employees.

Anyone with additional info or questions can e-mail me: mrkrooney1@aol.com