Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Southern Westchester Storm 08-15-08

16 posts in this topic

F.Y.I.

Tornado Warning was just transmitted

by Rockland County Fire Control at 5:04 PM!

:unsure:

Follow up to that....

Over my text message:

The NWS has issued a Severe Thunder Storm Warning

and Tornado Watch for the Peekskill area.

Westchester County Fire Control transmitted a

Tornado Warning at 5:27 PM!

NWS Flash Flood Warning for Northern New Jersey, Westchester County,

Putnam County, Rockland County, and Orange County at 5:29 PM!

CBS 2 News is reporting hail in the size of TENNIS BALLS falling in the areas of Yonkers and east.

BE CAREFUL out there guys!

CBS 2 News is reporting hail in the size of TENNIS BALLS falling in the areas of Yonkers and east.

BE CAREFUL out there guys!

got some nice sized hail in new rochelle as well

Sounds like a lot going on in New Rochelle, from the fire at the high school, to several wires down, just heard a tree down on a house. What mutual aid units are being called in for all the calls, and are there any mutual aid units being called in just to stand by? Because it sounds like every unit thats been called in, is being redirected to other calls, and it seems once theyve cleared one call, theyre being redirected to another call.

Sounds like a lot going on in New Rochelle, from the fire at the high school, to several wires down, just heard a tree down on a house. What mutual aid units are being called in for all the calls, and are there any mutual aid units being called in just to stand by? Because it sounds like every unit thats been called in, is being redirected to other calls, and it seems once theyve cleared one call, theyre being redirected to another call.

Many departments responded to New Rochelle on Mutual Aid. Some of them off the top of my head are White Plains, Hartsdale, Mount Vernon, Pelham and Larchmont. Sounds like the storm hit the New Ro and Pelham area hard.

I Heard On the Scanner From Mta PD That A tornado hit Mount Vernon Does Any One Know if It really happened ?? Becuse i heard them acounting for all there people.

Any One Alse Know???

Engine 31 from Eastchester.

Engine 71 and Ladder 34 from White Plains.

Engine 151 and Ladder 4 from Greenville.

Tower Ladder 29 from Scarsdale.

Tower Ladder 7 from Larchmont.

New Rochelle Engine 19, Ladder 14, and Rescue 4 manned with NRFD members.

I don't believe that the tornado hit according to the weather band.

Many departments responded to New Rochelle on Mutual Aid. Some of them off the top of my head are White Plains, Hartsdale, Mount Vernon, Pelham and Larchmont. Sounds like the storm hit the New Ro and Pelham area hard.

Structure fire at New Rochelle High School.

Departments into the city on mutual aid:

Eastchester E-31

Larchmont TL-7

Greenvile E-151 & L-4

Scarsdale TL-29

White Plains E-71 & L-34

2nd Alarm call back of NRFD personnel and manned E-19, L-14, RES-4 and MSU-3. Plus guilds as available for the out of town companies.

covering companies responded on numerous weather related calls.

Note these are separte incidents. new ro's fire got as stated by LTNRFD

"Structure fire at New Rochelle High School.

Departments into the city on mutual aid:

Eastchester E-31

Larchmont TL-7

Greenvile E-151 & L-4

Scarsdale TL-29

White Plains E-71 & L-34

2nd Alarm call back of NRFD personnel and manned E-19, L-14, RES-4 and MSU-3. Plus guilds as available for the out of town "

Pelham had major storm damage from trees down to wires down to flooded basements with up to 8 ft of water in them to smoke from the structure Etc.

Hartsdale E-170, Fairview E-175, m/a at 1846hrs

Also FDMV ladder 62 to pelham untill they had to return due to a possible structure fire.

Later on as Greenville L-4 and White plains E-71 and Ladder 34 cleared NRFD they responded to calls in pelham as well.

The storm crossing the Hudson from Alpine, NJ and into Yonkers just as the tornado warning was issued.

IMG_04670.jpg

This photo kind of looks like to pictures right before "The Perfect Storm"

I would just like to say Yesturday's storm proved true BROTHER HOOD in the fire service. While the areas that were getting hit the worse no matter who was dispatched MA they went right in and went right to work weather it was pumping out basements or sitting on a wire down call waiting for con ed, responding to residential or commercial alarms all companies were non stop for several hours. When the MA companies were cleared from the city of New Rochelle they went right to work in Pelham assisting there anyway they could.

Now that's BROTHER HOOD!!!

Would also like to add excellent job by the DISPATCHERS at 60-Control

Edited by DES630

Just like to say Thank You to our Brothers from Greenville, Hartsdale, Fairview, White Plains, Mount Vernon, Pelham Manor and DES for all their help!

We got hit very hard and very quickly. This proved the system works!

Thanks again!

Pelham FD

(Group 3)

Just an FYI:

A funnel cloud was spotted coming down over the City of Mt. Vernon. It was seen from the FD Alarm Bureau in City Hall. (from the one window...lol) It never touched the ground but the mircobursts were intense. I wish I wasn't on vacation at the time. The person who saw it is a 25+year veteran who said he never wants to see it again...lol.