Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NYPD Auxiliary RMP Color change

22 posts in this topic

The NYPD has changed the design of the Auxiliary cars from Dark Blue to white. The complete changeover should take about a year to get all auxiliary units citywide to white.

Any thoughts on the new design?

OLD:

P4140225.jpg

NEW:

800px-NYPD_Auxiliary_1.jpg

NYPD_Auxiliary_White_RMP.jpg

HIGHWAY:

NYPD_Auxiliary_Highway_Patrol_RMP.jpg

Seems pretty dangerous to me. Every month there's an article in the Daily News etc... about RMP's being fired at in Brooklyn or wherever. Maybe this means PD RMP's are changing also. Black and white's are always nicer! Probably never going to happen though...

"Wait, so cops WITH guns get killed, and now you want me to stand on a corner, without a gun, for free?" I'm sold!

I could never understand why someone would want to do that job for free. Seeing as how easy it is to become NYPD. They wait for that job is not nearly as long as the FD.

put me in that old 1970's patrol car in the 4th pic and i might do it for free!

As an NYPD Auxiliary officer, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. It is hard to distinguish us from an armed NYPD officer on any given day. This will only make it even harder to distinguish us. Fact is, when you see a white police car coming down the street lights and sirens, you immidiately will think the officers in the vehicle are armed. When you see a dark blue car in the same situation, you will either think traffic cop ( no authority to do anything ) or an auxiliary (unarmed).

Again - I dont think this was a good decision.

deterrent and police presence..............its harder for the bad guys to tell if its a po or an ao. Plus white and blue does look better. Looking at the car for the first time I was thinking it was a police car. Just looks more uniform and similar to armed po cars.

Thats what I think the problem is. I wound not want anyone thinking I have a gun when I don't. Criminals are not going to wait to see what the side of the car says before they start shooting. But if it was an all blue car then they may know thats it not an armed officer. Did they ask the auxiliary guys or just make an executive decision?

And it may end up starting a new thread but can someone just give me a quick description on what an auxiliary officer does?

Edited by Scottyk107

And if may end up started a new thread but can someone just give me a quick description on what an auxiliary officer does?

Yeah I was thinking that too and I have to agree with everyone else it does make it harder to distinguish between the two.

Actually the NYPD Auxiliary RMP's use to be White with Blue lettering.

The NYPD RMP's were Royal Blue with White lettering.

When the NYPD RMP's were painted with the new colors of White with Blue lettering the

NYPD Auxiliary RMP's were then painted Navy Blue with White Lettering.

So the NYPD Auxiliary RMP's are going back to what they once were

back in the late 80's and 90's. White with Blue lettering.

I know this because back in the 90's I was a NYPD Auxiliary PO.

95MN12 24/30 PCT

Actually the NYPD Auxiliary RMP's use to be White with Blue lettering.

The NYPD RMP's were Royal Blue with White lettering.

When the NYPD RMP's were painted with the new colors of White with Blue lettering the

NYPD Auxiliary RMP's were then painted Navy Blue with White Lettering.

So the NYPD Auxiliary RMP's are going back to what they once were

back in the late 80's and 90's. White with Blue lettering.

I know this because back in the 90's I was a NYPD Auxiliary PO.

95MN12 24/30 PCT

Yup you are right. Before they went to dark blue they used to look like this pre ~1998

2177169441_f362846907.jpg

And like this in the 70's

2177169713_8cdece9b77.jpg

I don't like the looks of this. Presence and deterrent aside. It's not a safe thing for unarmed auxiliaries. Maybe they could go to something different to distinguish them from the Brownies and the School Safety folks. RWC, you may have known my Dad, he was a Sgt, in the 25 Squad back then.

Edited by TR54

While we are on the subject, NYPD auxiliary has many units including Highway, Transit, Harbor and ESU (Known as APSU)

Here is a picture of an APSU REP

94repzp4.jpg

w640.png

94apsu2sj3.jpg

w1024.png

APSU is is the unit I am a part of. We work with ESU as well as local precincts. Many of us are EMT, Mechanics, Doctors, Paramedics, Locksmiths, etc.. So we bring our professional experience to the unit.

APSU was also on the Pile at the WTC for 6 months adter 9/11 assisting with the recovery of human remains.

Here is a picture of one of the Auxiliary Harbor Unit boats.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2742407368/

So does APSU just do the medical/rescue type side of ESU work?

While we are on the subject, NYPD auxiliary has many units including Highway, Transit, Harbor and ESU (Known as APSU)

Auxiliary Patrol Support Unit (APSU): Auxiliary Police version of the NYPD's Emergency Services Unit (ESU). Officers wear the same uniform as regular NYPD ESU officers. They assist regular ESU units involving jobs such as dangerous conditions, rescues, vehicle accidents, lockouts, blackouts, blocked roads, natural disasters and other non-tactical calls where ESU is needed. These units carry many specialized tools, generators, lighting and other necessary gear in their vehicles to assist with said jobs. This unit is able to monitor and transmit on both local precinct radio frequencies as well as the SOD (Special Operations Division) citywide frequency. Unlike precinct patrol Auxiliary units, this unit patrols their entire respective patrol borough covering multiple precincts. Officers in this unit are required to go through extra training.[13] (As of September 2007, this unit is suspended from patrols for unknown reasons, and it is unknown when and if this unit will be allowed to resume patrols.)

Wow that look cool. What area is this truck out of and do you have APSU in all the boro's or just the 1 unit. I see a set of Scuba tanks do you guys do rescue/recovery dives as well. What happened that they have suspended the unit from patrols.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by CPAGE

I can almost guarantee that the color change has to do more with economics than visibility. The reason NYPD got away from the light blue color scheme on the older cars was because of the cost for both the initial order and painting any repaired body damage to the vehicles during their service life. (If I am not mistaken, the cost saving was somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.00 or $800.00 per vehicle just on the initial purchse.) Mayor Mike probably told everyone to figure out how to save some extra green this year and this was most likely one of the results. Don't be too suprised if the traffic cars follow in the near future.

I can almost guarantee that the color change has to do more with economics than visibility. The reason NYPD got away from the light blue color scheme on the older cars was because of the cost for both the initial order and painting any repaired body damage to the vehicles during their service life. (If I am not mistaken, the cost saving was somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.00 or $800.00 per vehicle just on the initial purchse.) Mayor Mike probably told everyone to figure out how to save some extra green this year and this was most likely one of the results. Don't be too suprised if the traffic cars follow in the near future.

You're probably right about the $$$$. That's why many jobs in Westchester went to all white - it simply cost too much to paint them funky color schemes.

But, as nice as the white is I'm still partial to the black and white patrol car.

Black and White is a big thing over the in Bergen Co. NJ. Most of the dept's painted the cars to the B / W now if they could put that touch of the green like the old NYPD cars of the 70 and before.

CP

As an NYPD Auxiliary officer, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. It is hard to distinguish us from an armed NYPD officer on any given day. This will only make it even harder to distinguish us. Fact is, when you see a white police car coming down the street lights and sirens, you immidiately will think the officers in the vehicle are armed. When you see a dark blue car in the same situation, you will either think traffic cop ( no authority to do anything ) or an auxiliary (unarmed).

Again - I dont think this was a good decision.

Even though auxiliary officers are unarmed, are they allowed to carry their own personal firearms if they are properly licensed?

Even though auxiliary officers are unarmed, are they allowed to carry their own personal firearms if they are properly licensed?

Officially, No. Unofficially, I wouldn't be suprised!

No, NYPD Auxiliary Police Officers are NOT allowed to carry any firearms

even if they have a permit.

Let's PLEASE try to stay on the topic of "NYPD Auxiliary RMP Color change"

I dont know about the other boros but in manhattan I've been seeing a lot of new traffic RMP's in the form of Ford Escapes in the white base with blue lettering color sceme