Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New Engines For Mohegan?

8 posts in this topic

I'm just curious, are there any plans in the works to replace some of Mohegan's older Engines (rescue pumpers), such as Engine 252?

Would they be replaced by a similar type apparatus, or would Mohegan go with a true combination rescue pumper, instead of having a structural engine and rescue engine?

As of this time there is nothing in the works for any new fire apparatus. The oldest apparatus that the dept. has is Engine 255, which is a 1992 Alleghany/Pemfab rescue-pumper. Engine 252 (1990 International/EEI) was retired when it was involved in a rollover accident a few years ago and Engine 250 (1988 KME 55' LTI telesquirt) was retired and sold last year to the Lehman, Pa FD. Although the apparatus line has been downsized, there is currently no appartus on order or being sought to be replaced. The dept. still has 5 rescue-pumpers and 2 ladders in service. For the full list of apparatus, check out www.moheganfire.com

Thanks for the info.

You'd think that Mohehan's growing, that the fleet would be up to date with it as well, especially with the wear and tear on Mohegan's apparatus. But I guess it's a smart move, since there's more then enough mutual aid apparatus around if needed within a reasonable amount of time.

The LMFD IAFF local should be fighting for better rigs. The difference between driving a 1992 or a 1990 is like flying in a prop plane as opposed to a jet. These are the guys driving them and its their behind every time they start them up. I remember when they got all those rigs, and that was a long time ago!

Not all the apparatus is that old. Engine 257 and Engine 258 are 2001 KME's and Ladder 35 is a 2003 Spartan/Smeal. Depending on the type of alarm and location depends on what apparatus is responding, so its not like every rig is rolling all the time to every call. Also, the rigs no longer respond on ems calls since every substation has a SUV first response vehicle for that purpose.

The difference between driving a 1992 or a 1990 is like flying in a prop plane as opposed to a jet

come on now, that's not a good example, our 1984 Mack handled very well when the new Seagrave came in. I am sure many old timers out their can make the older rigs run like a charm, and pump like a champ !!! Yes, the newer rigs are nice, allot of bells and whistles, but a well qualified operator can make an older rig work well...

Good Point!! Wow, Billy G. we actually agree on something....lol

As much as I hate to do this I have to agree with both of you, Billy and Jimbo. A goo driver can make a well maintaned rig dance, heck even do gymnastics (he said sarcastically).