Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

IAFF at MDA Telethon

8 posts in this topic

I happened to be channel surfing and came across the telethon at the moment the IAFF was presenting their donation. This is a cause that is close to my heart as I had a cousin die of Muscular Dystrophy a few years ago. Does anyone know how long the IAFF has been donating to the charity, and are any of the local unions involved?

The IAFF has been donating to the MDA for many years. As for the number of years total I am not sure. It might be on the national's website.

I happened to be channel surfing and came across the telethon at the moment the IAFF was presenting their donation. This is a cause that is close to my heart as I had a cousin die of Muscular Dystrophy a few years ago. Does anyone know how long the IAFF has been donating to the charity, and are any of the local unions involved?

The IAFF has been involved with the MDA since 1954. Many locals are involved and have "Fill the Boot Drives", the monies collected allows the kids to attend the various summer camps. My local has been doing it for many years and this year we get to present the check during the telethon because we collected over $10,000.00. Which is quite an accomplishment for a 30 man local. Hope that answer some of your questions.

Stay Safe

Edited by 298

The Iaff donates alot of money every year that I can remember , theymake several appearances during the telethon. As far as unions I beleive Arlington FD in Dutchess County has done the boot drive in the past .

The City of Poughkeepsie Firefighters together with the Arlington Fire Department have an MDA fundraiser scheduled late in September at the Galleria Mall in Poughkeepsie. This event is being coordinated by non other than the newlywed himself, Mr. Paul Buecher. Once he settles back to normal life after his kick-a** wedding, I'll find out the exact dates and post back here. We look forward to seeing all of the EMTBravo members there.

There is a softball tournament held in Prince Georges County Maryland where 104 IAFF teams from across the coutry and Canada compete. It is always held the weekend after Labor Day. It begins this Thursday.Some of the area teams thst participate are Greenburgh NY, Stamford CT, Milford CT,Providence RI, New York City usually sends a few teams,Philly, as weel as other big locals such as Houston TX, Pittsburgh,San Francisco, Orlando Fl, New Orleans just to name a few. You can check out PG county's website or attend it once and you will be hooked. Budweiser donates all the beer, and then sell tickes, and the proceeds go to MDA. And various locals do different things in the camping area to raise more money for MDA. Some of the children attend and that iss what its all about. Matty Stepinak, the former poster child and spokesman for MDA attended every year until his unfortunate passing. He was a very special young man. His mom Jenny, who also has MD, also attends every year. This is an IAFF only event and is booked solid every year. I have gone for the last fourteen years, and hope to never miss it

The City of Poughkeepsie Firefighters together with the Arlington Fire Department have an MDA fundraiser scheduled late in September at the Galleria Mall in Poughkeepsie. This event is being coordinated by non other than the newlywed himself, Mr. Paul Bucher. Once he settles back to normal life after his kick-a** wedding, I'll find out the exact dates and post back here. We look forward to seeing all of the EMTBravo members there.

As promised, the info for this fundraiser is as follows:

We will be set up on the first floor of the Galleria Mall near the Target entrance. The dates and times are...

September 20th, 2008 from 10:00am until 9:00pm

October 4th, 2008 from 10:00am until 9:00pm

October 18th, 2008 from 10:00am until 9:00pm

Please join us and help support this great organization!