Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

South Salem's VFD's New 2008 Dodge Durango Command Vehicle

17 posts in this topic

The South Salem Volunteer Fire Department, in Westchester County New York, has just taken delivery of their new Chief's car 2451, a 2008 Dodge Durango SLT.

The SSVFD chose an all LED lighting system by Whelen that includes a Liberty lightbar, four LIN6 LEDs in the grille, a red / white TIR6 at each outer corner and an eight head Dominator in the rear cargo window. A headlight flasher and rear taillight / brakelight flasher complete the lighting system. The overall system control is by way of a 295SLSA6 with a 100 watt siren speaker.

The Havis-Shields console replaces the stock unit and contains the Whelen system controller, W.C. trunk radio, the department's low band and high band radios, dual cup holder, 12V power outlet, map light, rechargeable Mag Lite and storage box that utilizes the OEM armrest, transferred from the stock console.

The rear Command / Storage cabinet was custom built to South Salem's specs, incorporating a command drawer with white marking board and clear overlay with storage under the board for I.C. supplies, EMS equipment and scene management supplies. The adjustable shelving on the right side of the cabinet allows for a wide variety of storage solutions while the open left side provides storage for turnout gear. Two portable radio chargers, a Streamlight handlight and the rear head for the County trunk radio are all mounted on the cabinet to streamline scene command functions. The depth of the cabinet was set specifically to provide sufficient space for the installation of an SCBA, a set of irons (contained in a Pac Mount "Ironslok") and a set of bolt cutters (also captured by Pac Mount tool holders) on the front face of the cabinet. A pair of Whelen Super LED compartment lights, mounted on the interior face of the cargo door, supplies general workspace lighting at night, while two dual halogen floodlights under the rear of the truck provide additional lighting while the truck is in reverse.

The custom graphics package includes gold leaf lettering and front door maltese crosses, with a white reflective stripe down both sides of the truck. It also includes a white reflective safety chevron applied to the rear bumper.

Specialty Warning Systems wants to thank the South Salem FD and their Commissioners for their continued confidence in us to provide their specialty vehicles. This is our second vehicle for the SSVFD as Utility 79, a 2008 Ford F350 Super Duty, was delivered in December of last year. We look forward to working on additional projects with them in the near future.

post-7323-1220494067.jpg

post-7323-1220493863.jpg

post-7323-1220493877.jpg

post-7323-1220493887.jpg

post-7323-1220493905.jpg

post-7323-1220493921.jpg

post-7323-1220493935.jpg

post-7323-1220493946.jpg

nice truck and best of luck.

this is secondary to this topic, and not at all directed to S.Salem - but the more "buff" mags i read, the more i read an all LED packaged rig is actually unsafe. a combo of LED, strobe and rotators in the front and sides are more effective for their projecting qualities. as for the rear, LED's are seemingly suitable. as anyone, in recent times followed these new studies for a new rigs lighting package?

Nice, I like the removal of the back seat to store equipment

Nice, I like the removal of the back seat to store equipment

Actually Jet, the second row seating all remains intact.......while we were working with the FD committee on the cabinet specs, one of the goals was to provide tool storage, but to also maintain full seating capability. The photos we posted just show the equipment storage with the seats folded down....(for photo clarity)

SWS1

Awesome job as has come to be expected. Specialty always does an amazing job. Keep up the GREAT work

Curious here, is there going to be some type of protective cover placed over the electrical components near the tool storage, I can see an inadvertent contact between the haligan and what appears to be a circuit breaker. As for warning lights everyone has there own opinion regarding the type, rotator, strobe, led etc. I think you see most departments going to LED based on the amp draw although they are still a little more expensive, they also last much longer if I remember correctly they are supposed to last 10,000 hrs at a steady burn rate.

Curious here, is there going to be some type of protective cover placed over the electrical components near the tool storage, I can see an inadvertent contact between the haligan and what appears to be a circuit breaker. As for warning lights everyone has there own opinion regarding the type, rotator, strobe, led etc. I think you see most departments going to LED based on the amp draw although they are still a little more expensive, they also last much longer if I remember correctly they are supposed to last 10,000 hrs at a steady burn rate.

it's actually 100,000 hrs

changed 10 fold since I worked for Whelen.

Nice truck good luck with it south Salem. Nice job with it specialty. You guys did a great job as usual.

Off topic but why is everyone going with suvs? What happened to the cars?

it's actually 100,000 hrs

It depends on the LEDs; some of the really bright ones (e.g. Luxeon Stars) have a 10,000 hr lifetime.

-Jared

Slightly off the topic but - has anyone seen the Archille CHief's car (Chevy Trailblazer) I am curious as to where they mounted the radios and such.

Anyone have those same backuplights?!? i know a few people who mounted them under the bumper like that(same exact lights) and they filled right up with water....a few people i know had them installed professinaly. the lights are awsome bright even more so when you turn on both bulbs, but every where i see em there is water in them after not to long a period of time.....

They are going to SUVs because an SUV can hold much more than Crown Victoria. With the IC boards, radios, turnout gear, SCBA, tools and duties of chief it makes sense that they would need a much bigger car.

LACoFD is giving some of their chiefs for F-350s with a utility box on it carrying anything that might be needed at a scene that an chief is called to.

nice truck Specialty Warning Systems does another fine job I like these Dodge Durangos

It depends on the LEDs; some of the really bright ones (e.g. Luxeon Stars) have a 10,000 hr lifetime.

-Jared

cool, ever even heard of that brand.

Slightly off the topic but - has anyone seen the Archille CHief's car (Chevy Trailblazer) I am curious as to where they mounted the radios and such.

union vale f.d also has a trailblazer for there ems chief radios are mounted nicely i also have an 05 trailblazer with my radio and light box mounted in a nice spot i can send you a pic so you can see were its put send me a pm and ill send it to you the job came out good its mounted right undar the car raido