Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

New Sprint/Nextel iDen Network Phones

9 posts in this topic

http://www.sprintenterprise.com/newphones/curve.html

http://www.sprintenterprise.com/newphones/i576.html

I know that there are many Nextel users out there who have felt like they have gotten the short end of the stick since Sprint took over. Sprint has not made many new phones available that work on the Nextel iDen network. They came out with Hybrid phones and then they came out with Qchat phones in an effort to get as many PTT users off of the iDen network and onto the CDMA/PCS network. Sprint made numerous statements that they would not sink anymore money into the iDen network.

As a heavy user of the Nextel network, I have tried Hybrid phones as well as some of the new Qchat phones. At this point, there is nothing that compares to the Nextel iDen network as far as PTT service goes. I know that the iDen network is often slow when it comes to data and text messaging, but the PTT is second to none. The iDen PTT service has come in handy so many times as a backup/alternate to my local public safety radio systems.

I know that the Nextel network is not the best at times and as I mentioned above it is not the best for texting, data and email services. For this reason I have a Sprint CDMA/PCS BlackBerry for these services and I use it as a backup if I am in a dead zone for Nextel service.

Sprint has finally realized that they lost tens of thousands of customers on the Nextel network. They have decided to commit more funding to the iDen network and they are finally are coming out with some new phones that have the features that were previously available on the CDMA network. Listed above is a link to a new BlackBerry Curve that will have Direct Connect and the other link is to a new rugged slim Razr style phone. They should be available for sale in the next month or two and I will be trying them both out.

Please feel free to share your opinions about these phones and your good/bad experiences with the current Nextel phones and the service.

Trauma74,

Thanks for sharing that information.... Interesting!

Like most people in Emergency Services I like having the Direct Connect.

Currently I have the Nextel BlackBerry 7100i

Why? Because that was my ONLY option.

I've had some problems with it freezeing up, Text Messages both TX and RX.

I have to do the "Master Radio Reset" at least once a week.

Voicemail notifications are sometimes delayed, the list goes on...

I am happy to hear about the new Nextel BlackBerry Curve 8350i

Personally....TOO LITTLE TOO LATE. I am sick of the continually poor service. I am counting the days until my contract ends Feb 1, 2009. I call to complain about things such as dropped calls, late voicemails,etc. and get a sales pitch to buy a new phone. I've been with Nextel 4+ years, and that is what I get...buy a new phone? PLus a month after I complain my bill is thru the roof...because the dipshits at Nextel decided to eliminate my free incoming calls, and then claimed that I went over my minutes therefore must be charged for my supposedly free nights and weekends.

It is quite interesting that they are now coming out with these phones when about a month ago it was reported that Sprint was looking to let go of Nextel. Hmmmm......verrryyy interesting (Artie Johnson - Laugh In)

PLus a month after I complain my bill is thru the roof...because the dipshits at Nextel decided to eliminate my free incoming calls

It was my understanding that if you were already on a Free Incoming plan prior to Sprint eliminating it, then you were "Grandfathered"? I could be wrong though. Were you on the Free Incoming? You should have been allowed to stay on it. Also, if you were being charged for minutes during your Night & Weekend period you should be able to get credit for that. I've had fairly good success with resolving issues with them lately. I know they've been horrible in the past but lately they seem to be more willing to satisfy. Are you calling reg. Customer Service or Gov't accounts? If your in Public Safety you should be on a Gov't Individual account. Reg. cust. service is definetly not as good as Gov't Cust Service. Yes the Network was terrible for a couple of years but it's gotten better again, at least in my opinion (anybody else?) Finally, there's always the Everything Plan if your a heavy user.

Edited by JAD622

It was my understanding that if you were already on a Free Incoming plan prior to Sprint eliminating it, then you were "Grandfathered"? I could be wrong though. Were you on the Free Incoming? You should have been allowed to stay on it. Also, if you were being charged for minutes during your Night & Weekend period you should be able to get credit for that. I've had fairly good success with resolving issues with them lately. I know they've been horrible in the past but lately they seem to be more willing to satisfy. Are you calling reg. Customer Service or Gov't accounts? If your in Public Safety you should be on a Gov't Individual account. Reg. cust. service is definetly not as good as Gov't Cust Service. Yes the Network was terrible for a couple of years but it's gotten better again, at least in my opinion (anybody else?) Finally, there's always the Everything Plan if your a heavy user.

Yes I was grandfathered in. After I called several times to complain, I was given a credit, but for the next few months there was always some type of billing shenanigans going on.

TOO LATE, after many years I dropped Nextel/Sprint about 2 months ago. Yes I miss the Direct Connect with FD/VAC and co-workers, but I refuse to continue paying a premium for inferior service. I went the round of 'HyBrid' phones, pure junk, the service got worse!!!

Nextel was the market lead for direct-connect for years. Sprint (Last place telcomm company) 'merged' with them, they decided that instead of working with the major user base (and probably why they bought Nextel in the firstplace), that they would lower the leader down to thier level..

I dont think this change will recover the previous users.. I know I have no plans to move back

i have 2 months left, then im getting verizon. the service is horrible and im tired of paying for it. It seems its getting worse as the year goes by. i really miss the direct connect but ill get by.

Going along with what everyone else has said I dropped Nextel a month ago for Verizon. I was only 6 months into my 2nd, 2 year contract, but I was so fed up with it. I miss the 2way function, but I appreciate the better reception, cheaper plan, more services for a lower price, and a bigger discount thatn I had for Nextel.

Overall, I am very happy I went to Verizon.