Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What are your Dept SOP's for responding to the scene?

6 posts in this topic

Do you think we have to go by some laws when come to a red light on very busy street. A three lane Street.

Edited by gingersnaps61

I'm not following what you mean by the question. Are you asking about going through the intersection with a red stop light and how to transverse through a multiple lane roadway at this intersection????

I'll do my best in answer in this OP's question, that's if there is a question there as there is no ?.

Do you think we have to go by some laws when come to a red light on very busy street?

In the topic it states "POV" and "Rescue Trunk". Since I'm not sure what a rescue trunk is, I'll assume the OP meant rescue truck. With a POV you must obey all laws, not some. In NY, running a blue light gives you no special treatment. If you come to a red light on a busy intersection during rush hour or on a back street at 3am, you must stop until the light turns green!

If you're driving a rescue truck (emergency vehicle) you should come to a complete stop at the same red lights and only proceed when it is safe to do so.

I hope this answers the question, if not, please rephrase and proof read.

You are very vague as truck pointed out so I'm going to go with what he interpreted as well and discuss personal experience and understanding as an EVOC instructor. If I knew of a SOP to go by I would.

POV...no matter what you wait for the green light. Blue light, red light, green light, purple light, rainbow bright...doesn't matter...wait for the green light to come.

Emergency vehicle...slow down, make noise, come to a complete stop and use the edging technique. Account for every lane you have to cross and once you have control of the lane advance to the next one. When crossing multiple lanes the thing to remember is expect the unexpected and any vehicle that is moving towards you is a threat you cannot assume they are going to stop.

Others have covered the pure driving aspects. SOP aspects... we always respond POV to the scene unless there's a house call out and POV responses are discouraged, in the case of heavy weather for instance. When responding the SOPs are obvious stuff... obey all traffic laws, yield to responding apparatus, when arriving at scene park on the same side of the street as the apparatus, or off the street in a driveway or parking lot, don't park in front of hydrants (!), don't park too close to the scene, and don't park in dead end streets at all - park elsewhere and walk in to the scene. Exercise extreme caution when responding to wires down calls, lest you find yourself parking in a hazardous area or driving over the wires! All common-sense stuff, or should be.

We take driving seriously; members can be, have been, and will be, suspended if bad driving is reported.

Mike

I'll do my best in answer in this OP's question, that's if there is a question there as there is no ?.

In the topic it states "POV" and "Rescue Trunk". Since I'm not sure what a rescue trunk is, I'll assume the OP meant rescue truck. With a POV you must obey all laws, not some. In NY, running a blue light gives you no special treatment. If you come to a red light on a busy intersection during rush hour or on a back street at 3am, you must stop until the light turns green!

If you're driving a rescue truck (emergency vehicle) you should come to a complete stop at the same red lights and only proceed when it is safe to do so.

I hope this answers the question, if not, please rephrase and proof read.

Yes That is what I wanted Thank You. Sorry I wrote that late last night and dont see I missed we lol