Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LT. 22

Wilton, CT Working Fire Pics 07/08/08

11 posts in this topic

On a very hot and Humid day in July, Firefighters from Wilton, New Canaan, Norwalk, Georgetown, Ridgefield, Westport, and Weston battled this house fire on Drum Hill Rd. in Wilton, CT. A lot of Dept. were called in due to the lack of hydrants in the area and the hot weather. No injuries were reported.

post-1769-1222274603.jpg

post-1769-1222274681.jpg

post-1769-1222274779.jpg

post-1769-1222274843.jpg

post-1769-1222274920.jpg

post-1769-1222275041.jpg

post-1769-1222275106.jpg

post-1769-1222275226.jpg

Nice pics. Looks like a typical limited access, far from the road driveway there......too bad they couldn't get Wilton's truck in there.

Whose engine is that behind New Canaan's tanker?

Thats Weston's Tanker. There was a total of 5 tankers-Ridgefield, Georgetown, Weston, New Canaan, and Wilton. I wish I could have gotten more pics, but I was operating our tanker and was only able to snap a few from a distance.

First line through the front door?

Why do they need the truck in there? Ground ladders work fine and give you access to the entire structure.

First line through the front door?

Why do they need the truck in there? Ground ladders work fine and give you access to the entire structure.

Agreed. Just saying that these driveways prohibit apparatus placement, which makes taking the tools and ladders from the truck to the incident even more of a schlep.

Good shots!!! Looks like one hell of a job---Thanks for sharing!!!

From what I was told, the first line was through the front door and was advanced into the attic through the attic stair case. Wilton's first due Engine made a good push into the attic, but were pulled out due to the roof being unstable.

Edited by LT. 22

Seems like the only thing that prevented the proper ladder placement here was the engine placement.

It doesn't look like he could have gotten much closer without either parking on the grass or right next to the structure. Why take the risk when access is just as easily accomplished with ground ladders?

Why does everyone worry about whether the aerial should have been placed there or not??? Yes ground ladders work fine in this situation, the attack pumper was up in the driveway with an established source pumper feeding it. Has anyone ever though maybe, just maybe it might have been placed there for the ground ladders and addition equipment such as saws, fans, salvage covers, ect. are on that type of apparatus? Also the fact that the ladder is the second out unit from WFD HQ staffed with career firefighters following the engine? 2 in 2 out rule come to mind to with staffing? Easy access to all the equipment and a short distance to carry it to the structure?

By the pictures and the news article I read, WFD did a great job stopping the fire and preventing it from being a lot worse.

Time to start thinking out of the box before making comments.