Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

1980's & 2008 Photos - 60 Control Console KED281

33 posts in this topic

Twenty years before this topic date, we volunteered as dispatchers at Westchester County Fire Control, which was housed in a small office on the third floor of the White Plains Fire Headquarters.

We used a small radio base station, Dictaphone recorder and hand written log book. Our wall mounted status board consisted of tags for all county fire apparatus which were manually placed on hooks to show their status.

Our modern move was to the new Westchester County Parkway Police station at Hawthorne Circle, where an office was provided for Fire Control.

We sure have come a long way!

In the old days we used to have the dictaphone belts for recording telephone calls. God how I used to have to change the belts and then try to play the call back.

.....and do you remember the telephones (949-8883/84) that were attached to the desk and had the flshing light when they rang ?

#529 1973-1983.

Up until last year, we still used dictaphone reel to reel. Had to change the tapes at 2400. Good times, fun stuff. We had something set up where we could do a playback a few minutes after the actual call came in.

True, I give most probies about 6-8 months before they get jaded. Took me about a year. Was just surprised to see a 60 Control/FDNY simultaneous dispatch. Thought we only did courtesy calls.

Tim..............any pics of "611"??

EXDC203 - this photo is the plaque presented to op.611 in November 1996 at his party. Rob "611" currently dispatches for West Palm Beach Fire / Rescue in Florida. I can tell you , he has great memories of his time at 60 Control and the lifetime friends he made working there.

post-23-1223225572.jpg