Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Use of PD/FD Aviation at Brush and Structure Fires - Eye In The Sky!

10 posts in this topic

Shore Plaza Motel & Sam's Pizza

On The Boardwalk - Wildwood, NJ

December 9, 2005

250 firefighters from Wildwood, North Wildwood,

Stone Harbor, Rio Grande, Green Creek, Wildwood Crest, West Wildwood,

Ocean City, Upper Township, Belleplain and Petersburg responded.

This fire hits close to home with me, I've been going to the Shore Plaza for

over 30 years. It was one of, if not the best Motel in Wildwood and right on

the Boardwalk.

I am looking for some input on the Firefighting Tactics from

some experienced Firefighters, Fire Officers, and PD/FD Aviation.

Maybe we can ALL learn something.

Take a look at the Video!

CBS 3 News Chopper Video:

http://cbs3.com/video/?id=19659@kyw.dayport.com

32 Minutes

I realize a Fire in a Building of this size is very difficult to fight but do you

think if the News Chopper was a Police or Fire Chopper and had radio

contact with Fire Crews it would have made a difference at directing the

streams and help extinguish the fire quicker?

The aerial view is a perspective that is all too often overlooked. The technology exists today to give the IC this view without taking him/her up in the aircraft. Many law enforcement aircraft are equipped with microwave downlink equipment that will allow video from onboard cameras to be transmitted directly to the command post. An alternative is to take the IC or other ranking officer up to view the scene first-hand.

It is possible as you suggest to simply broadcast info about the scene to the ground but much can be lost in that translation and if everyone isn't on the same page, it may not even seem like the same language.

The FDNY sends a Batt Chief up with NYPD Aviation on every 3rd Alarm or greater to provide that aerial perspective.

Is this perspective useful? It sure can be! Will it make a measurable difference in the suppression effort? Who knows!

What do the Chief's on this board think? Would this perspective be useful to you?

The aerial view is a perspective that is all too often overlooked. The technology exists today to give the IC this view without taking him/her up in the aircraft. Many law enforcement aircraft are equipped with microwave downlink equipment that will allow video from onboard cameras to be transmitted directly to the command post. An alternative is to take the IC or other ranking officer up to view the scene first-hand.

It is possible as you suggest to simply broadcast info about the scene to the ground but much can be lost in that translation and if everyone isn't on the same page, it may not even seem like the same language.

The FDNY sends a Batt Chief up with NYPD Aviation on every 3rd Alarm or greater to provide that aerial perspective.

Is this perspective useful? It sure can be! Will it make a measurable difference in the suppression effort? Who knows!

What do the Chief's on this board think? Would this perspective be useful to you?

The aerial view can be beneficial at certain incidents. You're comments regarding the microwave downlink are also on point. The ablility of the IC and other officers to view the situation at the CP via downlink is a tremendous benefit. If there is solid communication between the CP and the aircraft the officers can ask the pilot to help in getting the perspective needed.

I hope the Chiefs of Westchester know how fortunate they are to have such a resource as the WCPD Aviation Unit available...

Many law enforcement aircraft are equipped with microwave downlink equipment that will allow video from onboard cameras to be transmitted directly to the command post. An alternative is to take the IC or other ranking officer up to view the scene first-hand.

IMO, After watching the video I think it would have been useful at this fire.

The aerial perspective view from onboard cameras or taking up a chief is that something a putnam dept. can call on from WCPD aviation? Also what equipment is needed for the cameras at the command post. Thanks

Mike

The aerial perspective view from onboard cameras or taking up a chief is that something a putnam dept. can call on from WCPD aviation? Also what equipment is needed for the cameras at the command post. Thanks

Mike

Depending on the circumstances we will respond to Putnam. We've been there many times in the past and have also been to other jurisdictions as well.

As for what equipment you need, we can deliver a suitcase receiver that has everything in it that is needed to view the video feed in the field.

If I remember correctly WCPD and NYPD Aviation

have been used locally at Large Brush Fires.

Was that just for the Water Bucket or also Observation

Assistance to the Incident Command?

Any large Structure Fires?

Thanks Chris192 for the info. It's another tool to put in the tool box. thanks

Thanks Chris192 for the info. It's another tool to put in the tool box. thanks

You're welcome! And thanks for calling me a tool!! :P Alright, if the shoe fits...

If I remember correctly WCPD and NYPD Aviation have been used locally at Large Brush Fires.

Was that just for the Water Bucket or also Observation Assistance to the Incident Command?

Any large Structure Fires?

NYPD, State Police, and the County PD have all been used for fire suppression at large brush fires over the years and recently. I know that there have been requests for aerial observation and at least one request to check a building with the thermal imaging for hot spots.

As kfire said, we're a resource that should be in the toolbox for you to consider when you have a big job.

The helicopter is a very big help I know it was called to continental village I think last year for a brush fire on a mountain at night and they used the thermal imaging camera. I know chris you can elaberate more because I think you were the pilot :D