Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

Progressive EMS

9 posts in this topic

Blood in our area may never happen. Up state maybe as it spreads across the country.

Hypothermic resucitation is clearly on its way. The research I've seen hasn't shown a benefit in ROSC however it did show the percent of discharges from hospital doubled. They were next looking to quantify meaningful recovery for further evaluation of results.

NYC is currently working of a cooling protocol that will involve the rapid infusion of 1 Liter of cold saline and transport to a resucitation center that will continue the hypothermic therapy. There are however several hurdles that must be worked out first, but progress is being made.

This topic was covered at Vital Signs 2008 this past month. I attended this particular conference and it gave alot of valuable information regarding Induced Hypothermia in cardiac arrest patients. As we all know what begins in the field needs to be aggressively followed thru at the ED. At this point all we can do without the device is apply ice packs to help bring down the core body temperature.

This was my first time at Vital Signs and I really enjoyed the topics that I had an oppurtunity to sit in......the after conference activities were also very interesting and provided alot of networking.

Air crews operate at an entirely different level. Cool stuff, but it will probably never hit the streets.

Air crews operate at an entirely different level. Cool stuff, but it will probably never hit the streets.

Hopfully it won't hit the streets while in an airplane. That wouldn't be good.

At this point all we can do without the device is apply ice packs to help bring down the core body temperature.

What device?

There are a lot of complaints on this forum about the scope of practice of NY EMTs, but I am recently discovering that NY is not totally behind. In Delaware they do not carry albuterol, aspirin or epi pens. Working as an EMT in DE has made me appreciate NY's protocols.

Edited by OoO

The device I was referring to was the cooler like machine that keeps the IV fluids at a certain temperature so that the patient could be placed in a hypothermic state in cardiac arrest. I have to look for the info from VS to better explain this.

So a device like a refrigerator???

I'm just breaking stones. Thanks.