Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest PublicSafetyCollectibles

Rombout Fire Company ( Fishkill NY ) 1957 ALF Pumper

5 posts in this topic

This Is A Photo Of Now Retired Rombout Fire Company ( Fishkill NY ) 1957 American LaFrance Open Cab Pumper In Their Unique Color Scheme Taken In The 1980's At The Fairchester Hose Haulers Muster In Croton Point Park.

post-409-1224356227.jpg

Nice pics, was that ALF new to Rombout or from Westchester originally. I also think they had Beekmans original engine when they formed up? <_<

The 1957 ALF was bought in 1971 (when Rombout was formed) from Mt. Hope, NJ. It's unusual in that it has a 1000 gallon tank. I'm pretty sure that that was done by Mt. Hope at some point, and not from the factory. It was red, gas powered, and had a manual transmission when we first got it. Some members of Rombout painted it in the old fire station on Wood Pl. Back in the 1980's the engine blew up and got replaced with a diesel and automatic transmission. The process of towing the thing is why it has the unusual tow hooks up front. The original tow hooks were, apparently, not very functional.

I'm glad to see it FINALLY got sensible mirrors again. I don't know who/why/when those "Erector set" things were retrofitted.

Yes, we "borrowed" Beekman's Chevy/ Sealand for quite a few years. If you check around the insides of the doors you can see the cream paint under the scratches in the red.