Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - River Church - City of Poughkeepsie FD - 10/30/08

66 posts in this topic

I'm not sure I need to or should explain my caption for the photo below.......

406450857_Y8UWm-XL.jpg

My caption read " A shot of the steeple from the collapse zone" And that's what it is........ The collapse zone exists at any incident involving a structure even a simple AFA........ The question is if the incident conditions are such that it is safe to occupy some or all of the "collapse zone" with personnel or apparatus........ And when this shot was taken - it was safe to occupy this part of the zone........ Although not for long.......

406453089_uMJ2V-XL.jpg

Prior to the conditions deteriorating to the point where it was no longer safe to occupy the "collapse zone", the zone was monitored as pictured above and everybody stayed out.....

Edited by Photounit

Here's a shot that shows everybody pulled back until the steeple was no longer.......... The smoke made this side of the fire quite a bit darker than the other sides at times........

408625853_X3hSh-XL.jpg

You could print all your photos out and make a flip book, it would make a nice movie haha.

Nice pics.

I just love the guys who are in partial or no turnout gear and ALWAYS seem to walk into your "photo zone"

If you are practiced with your ladder ops and know how to keep yourself out of danger, then there is no reason not to have an individual be your eyes in the sky. These men are strapped in safely and have the advantage of being able to see what they are attacking.

I would have to disagree with you. Not saying that the men are not up to date on Ladder ops or nor am I saying they are doing anything unsafe My point is the whole church is on fire!!!! You do not need an eye in the sky to tell you that. I may be wrong on this but I belive a FD in lower Westchester had a ladder colapse and flipped the truck on its side when it was being used as a water way some time back in the 80's. I do not know if anybody was on it at the time it fell.Why risk it!!!

A TL can can fail as well. So long as you're within operating limits why not? If you really want to be safe at least get a pair of eyes up in a TL to direct your streams.