Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - River Church - City of Poughkeepsie FD - 10/30/08

66 posts in this topic

I am done..............hope you enjoyed and learned something from them. I will never post that many pics again.

AND as always, any department wishing to use my pics on their site, feel free, just please give credit to JHK129.

Edited by x129K

One of the most photographed fires in a long time. Great pics by all. Poughkeepsie must lead the league in burning steeples in the month of Oct.

I am done..............hope you enjoyed and learned something from them. I will never post that many pics again.

Promise???????????????????????????????????? :blink:;):rolleyes: Dammmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn boy.............................................. The EMT-B servers are in melt-down :lol:

Many great shots of a spectacular blaze. Thanks for sharing.

Stubborn fire under any circumstances, and a shame another historical structure is lost.

x129...it's safe to say you have a future cover of Firehouse, or Fire Engineering, or Fire Rescue or..........you get the point fantastic photos.

Edited by spin_the_wheel

x129...it's safe to say you have a future cover of Firehouse, or Fire Engineering, or Fire Rescue or..........you get the pint fantastic photos.

Thanks for the kind words.

Now where's Nate???????????????????????? :P

Great pictures...

And not to criticize, BUT....

I love the guy walking right through the steeple collapse zone wearing a white helmet, coat, JEANS, and bunker boots! Never ceases to amaze me!

I am writing this carefully, because I don't want to offend anyone, and I don't think I will.

I'll say, I am in a paid fire service and an officer, who doesn't NEARLY/NOR CLAIM TO know everything.

With all due respect to you, I feel I must defend this guy in the white helmet, This Chief is not in the collapse zone of this steeple. YET.

I realize how "unpopular" it is to go against ANYTHING in the name of "SAFETY", (it's like the FD magic word, say "SAFETY" and there's no rebuttal) but I BELIEVE this piece of structure is not yet involved in fire. While early collapse zones should be established, and Firefighter safety is the paramount (and apparently the ONLY consideration) at the time of the photo in this incident, I BELIEVE as seen from the smoke, (amount, color & condition), the steeple is not in danger of collapse.

Although his choice of gear may be questionable, at the point he is walking past this steeple, I BELIEVE it is not in danger of collapse.

Yes, let's learn from our mistakes, but let's also learn how a fire progresses and be able to recognize the signs of imminent, possible and potential collapse.

Yes, SAFETY is a key, but signs and experience are great teachers too. Let's learn from them too.

Just a thought. Am I ranting? Sorry, but sometimes I BELIEVE we are cautious to a fault. (Yes, that's possible in some cases.)

By the way, these pictures are ridiculously good! The clarity and effects just make you go WOW!

I am writing this carefully, because I don't want to offend anyone, and I don't think I will.

I'll say, I am in a paid fire service and an officer, who doesn't NEARLY/NOR CLAIM TO know everything.

With all due respect to you, I feel I must defend this guy in the white helmet, This Chief is not in the collapse zone of this steeple. YET.

I realize how "unpopular" it is to go against ANYTHING in the name of "SAFETY", (it's like the FD magic word, say "SAFETY" and there's no rebuttal) but I BELIEVE this piece of structure is not yet involved in fire. While early collapse zones should be established, and Firefighter safety is the paramount (and apparently the ONLY consideration) at the time of the photo in this incident, I BELIEVE as seen from the smoke, (amount, color & condition), the steeple is not in danger of collapse.

Although his choice of gear may be questionable, at the point he is walking past this steeple, I BELIEVE it is not in danger of collapse.

Yes, let's learn from our mistakes, but let's also learn how a fire progresses and be able to recognize the signs of imminent, possible and potential collapse.

Yes, SAFETY is a key, but signs and experience are great teachers too. Let's learn from them too.

Just a thought. Am I ranting? Sorry, but sometimes I BELIEVE we are cautious to a fault. (Yes, that's possible in some cases.)

By the way, these pictures are ridiculously good! The clarity and effects just make you go WOW!

In the picture captioned, you are absolutely right. I beleive that is mutual aid Assistant Chief, initially I thought it was the PFD Fire Inspector, who holds rank of Lt.

406450857_Y8UWm-XL.jpg

FDPhotounit Photo form this thread

The fire conditions in the steeple at this point are rapidly growing, but it wasnt for several minutes after that pic was taken (judging by the smoke) until the apparatus was repositioned and a collapse zone expanded.

After the steeple collapsed, I did catch the Chief of the PFD chewing a mutual aid officer's a** a bit about walking along a main wall that was bowed out some.

Edited by x129K

greats shots dan, but that avatar has got to go!!!

greats shots dan, but that avatar has got to go!!!

Yeah, I agree.....That dude is FUGLY ;)

In the picture captioned, you are absolutely right. I beleive that is mutual aid Assistant Chief, initially I thought it was the PFD Fire Inspector, who holds rank of Lt.

The Inspector is not a line officer and therefore no longer has rank. I can see you thinking it was him as they have the same boots.