Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
25truck26

NYC Budget Cuts

38 posts in this topic

I was somewhat taken aback by the concern over training. Since when is training a bad thing? The safety and efficiency which is gained by this kind of approach toward training is real, and frankly speaking, every firefighter should recognize that. I would imagine that the City takes into account the companies it takes off-line for training by reallocating resources for cover purposes. Training is the last thing that should be cut, and FDNY's commitment to training should be applauded, not derided.

I was somewhat taken aback by the concern over training. Since when is training a bad thing? The safety and efficiency which is gained by this kind of approach toward training is real, and frankly speaking, every firefighter should recognize that. I would imagine that the City takes into account the companies it takes off-line for training by reallocating resources for cover purposes. Training is the last thing that should be cut, and FDNY's commitment to training should be applauded, not derided.

Training is not a bad thing, taking 15-20 companies OOS everday for 4 to 5 hours to watch the same video at the rock and play with the same hi rise nozzle or blanket (which I feel like I do every 2-3 weeks)

is what guys are complaining about. There are hundreds of hours lost everyweek where first due companies are OOS in their areas making life dangerous for civilians and FF's alike. Nobody is complaining about training, In my house we take the iniative to train on our own all the time. Our lives literally depend on it and frankly we take training very seriously. Most other houses are the same.

Training is not a bad thing, taking 15-20 companies OOS everday for 4 to 5 hours to watch the same video at the rock and play with the same hi rise nozzle or blanket (which I feel like I do every 2-3 weeks)

is what guys are complaining about. There are hundreds of hours lost everyweek where first due companies are OOS in their areas making life dangerous for civilians and FF's alike. Nobody is complaining about training, In my house we take the iniative to train on our own all the time. Our lives literally depend on it and frankly we take training very seriously. Most other houses are the same.

I agree that there is training, and there is bad training. Not having experienced what is going on at Randall's Island, I'm in no position to comment in any substantive way. I can say that sitting through the same 4 hour HAZMAT refresher every year, or running the same fire suppression drill over and over again at the training tower, is not sound training practise, and if this is what is going on at Randall's Island, then perhaps the quality (not quantity) of training should be addressed.

I think you're missing my point. It's not the issue of the members training or the rig being worked on for preventive maintenance. It's the fact that a fire company is closed for the duration of the day tour. Nobody is brought in on OT or straight time to man the rig, if it's even there. There isn't an outcry from the public there. That should be just as, if not more important than 5 Engines being shut down at night. Granted, statisitcally fatal fires occur at night, but I've seen a few instances where fatal fires have occured during the day, two of which occured when the first due ladder company was out of service for training.

One last parting shot for the evening, I strongly doubt Engines 22,44,or 39 will be shut down on the night tours. (Those are three of the four Engines on the first alarm assignment to Mayor Bloombergs home)

I gotta say. The training at the rock has been great lately. I've been thhrough a ton of FF removal scenarios and subway work. HOWEVER, this should not be at the expense of the first due area.

I guess first due isn't as important in N.O.C. ;)

Edited by M' Ave

While I disagree (with good reason) as to eliminating any fire suppression companies or any ambulances from service, one thing that I strongly disagree with is the idea of not using any NYFD Ladder companies on CPR or medical assist's.I know that the NYFD originally had intended to use Ladder companies as well Engines but then (if I understand correctly) there was an issue of paying some men on the Ladders more for answering CPR and EMS assist runs ,so the NYFD had dropped the idea.

To this day I don't understand why Ladder companies can't be used on EMS assist runs just like Engine companies are used on them and in most other cities both both types of companies are used (interchangably) on CPR and EMS assist runs.

Edited by firepost

While I disagree (with good reason) as to eliminating any fire suppression companies or any ambulances from service, one thing that I strongly disagree with is the idea of not using any NYFD Ladder companies on CPR or medical assist's.I know that the NYFD originally had intended to use Ladder companies as well Engines but then (if I understand correctly) there was an issue of paying some men on the Ladders more for answering CPR and EMS assist runs ,so the NYFD had dropped the idea.

To this day I don't understand why Ladder companies can't be used on EMS assist runs just like Engine companies are used on them and in most other cities both both types of companies are used (interchangably) on CPR and EMS assist runs.

Well, I can assure you that it has to do with money. The union negotiated some additional compensation for members working in an engine. If a guy from a truck works in the engine he gets that rate. Keeping company responsibilities clear helps with all operations. Both Co's have their "non-fire" runs to deal with. For the engine is CFR runs, for the truck it's stuck elevators and water leaks. At a car accident the engine tends to the patient and perhaps stretches a precautionary line while the truck handles the extrication and other issues with the vehicle itself. It seems to work just fine and the EMS load for the F.D.N.Y. can be handled by the engine without the need for both companies in the house to response.

Plus with the vast majority if houses containing both a ladder and an engine its not an issue until you start closing down engine co's for the night.