Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon Truck Companies

4 posts in this topic

How many Truck companies does Mount Vernon have, and what is the staffing? (frontline minimum)

As far as apparatus, they have 4 trucks- the 1998 Seagrave 100' RM, the 197? Mack/Baker Aerialscope, the 1988 E-One 95' RM Tower, and the 200? Seagrave Aerialscope.

From what I understand, there's currently only one of these trucks in service right now? In a city with such dense population, many of whom live in overcrowded wood framed dwellings, some of which are hard to throw a ground ladder at, you'd think reliable truck company apparatus and staffing would be important.

Is there even talk of purchasing a new truck?

From what I have been able to read from the Mount Vernon Local Firefighters Web Site, Ladder 2 (The Seagrave) should be an active "In Service" ladder company running out of Station 1 (Headquarters) along with Engine 6. Ladder 3 is listed as a front line company (The KME) running out of Station 3 (along with Engine 3). The Mack Baker TL is listed as a SPARE and the realitively new TL 1 is the one, that I believe that FDMV has had problems with ever since it has been in Mount Vernon.

Not sure if either Ladder 2 or TL 3 are currently OOS.

Given the size of the City of Mount Vernon, with its varied structures (Commerical and Residential) you would think that the staffing levels should be that of what they had back in the Late 60's Early 70's (6 Engine Companies, 3 Ladder Companies, 1 Rescue Company, and 1 Foam Company).

Every other large city in Westchester County is able to secure Federal Funding for Equipment/Apparatus/Manpower. Why not Mount Vernon?

f.y.i.... ladder #3 is a 1988 E- ONE 95 ft.platform .. ladder #2 is a 1998 100ft. rear mount Seagrave stick .. both are down but not out!!! TL1 is a 2005 Seagrave aerielscope ....TL4 is a 1980 Mack/ Baker 75 ft. scope soon to be up & runnin !!!!!!

f.y.i.... ladder #3 is a 1988 E- ONE 95 ft.platform .. ladder #2 is a 1998 100ft. rear mount Seagrave stick .. both are down but not out!!! TL1 is a 2005 Seagrave aerielscope ....TL4 is a 1980 Mack/ Baker 75 ft. scope soon to be up & runnin !!!!!!

Thanks for the info.....I know the Mount Vernon mechanic is WAY overworked ;) , and has no staff or budget....maybe these repairs would get turned around faster if they had as many mechanics for the fire apparatus as they do the garbage trucks.....

Kudos to the MVFD Mechanic for working his butt off for trying to keep the fleet safe, functioning, and in service!!!