Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RocklandFires

Fairchester Hose Haulers Muster

17 posts in this topic

Here are some photos of the Fairchester Hose Haulers Muster from June 28th, 1980 at the Kensico Dam in Valhalla. I do not know who the photographer is/was as these slides were won on ebay a few years ago and unfortunately have no markings on them. Big thanks to Tim [TR54] for scanning the slides for me. Wish I had more to post. Enjoy !

1980A.jpg

1980B.jpg

1980C.jpg

1980D.jpg

1980E.jpg

As a former officer of FHHA, the photos bring back fond memories of this great event, which drew the most number of unique antique fire apparatus in the country. Thanks for sharing.

Great muster and even greater memories.

Thanks for the pics

Cogs

Brings back a lot of memories going there with my dad.To bad they don't do it any more.

Brings back a lot of memories going there with my dad.To bad they don't do it any more.

I was a lot younger that I am today :(

post-64-1227191314.jpg

Great muster and even greater memories.

Thanks for the pics

Cogs

One of my fondest childhood FD memories was going to the Valhalla Muster with BFD E-433 and the "old timers", some who are not with us any more, but will always help continue the strong traditions of Belltown. I still feel proud when I recall watching our 1949 Mack drafting out of the "pool" in front of the dam and throwing water clear across it. Cogs...remember when we lost the grill on 287 out of Dave Lupinacci's pickup on the way back to CT??? Or when the radiator hose blew and 2 of us received nasty steam burns...man those were the days...LOL

great shots, does anyone that attended remember a Gail Borden hose cart?? The first Borden milk factory was in Wassaic NY and they made condensed milk, here is the picture of the cart that was named after Mr. Borden.

post-16297-1227642548.jpg

Cogs...remember when we lost the grill on 287 out of Dave Lupinacci's pickup on the way back to CT??? Or when the radiator hose blew and 2 of us received nasty steam burns...man those were the days...LOL

Indeed they were Joe. The events like midnight alarm, bucket brigade, water ball, and of course drafting. Yep that was a good time and a great social get together. Joe do you remember the water ball set up behind the firehouse?

You know for my eight years with the BFD every nite before a muster we had a working fire (all accidental by the way...LOL). And my first muster was the one from these pics. I made the mistake of going to the fire the nite before without socks...needless to say I had some nice big blisters from wearing those old rubber boots. But the young buck that I was at 16, I participated in every event...painfully...LOL.

Wish they'd bring it back.

Cogs

As a former officer of FHHA, the photos bring back fond memories of this great event, which drew the most number of unique antique fire apparatus in the country. Thanks for sharing.

Howard , Can you give us some background on the Fairchester Association? When was it started and how did it get its name ?

Also , what does VAMPS mean? Thank you , any information is appreiciated.

Fair is from FAIRFIELD county Conn. and the Chester is from WESTCHESTER county NY :P

Thanks for posting the pics. Those were a lot of fun those musters; looked forward to them every year. Still miss them. They were fun in later years too when they were held at Croton. A lot of guys did overnight camping there.

The second photo is the 1901 horse drawn, gasoline engine, piston pump from the Oakland, NJ Fire Department. This was original equipment in the Borough of Oakland which was donated by our first Chief, Ludo Wilkens. He owned and operated a brush factory in Oakland, NJ in the early 1900s.The department still maintains the pumper, although it has not been started in quite a few years. The tall firefighter in the photo is my late brother, John Seifert. The gentleman to the right wearing the dark baseball cap is Harry Egan.

Great memories of the musters there! I believe that rig won first place in the "Most Unusual" category. :)

grumpyff likes this

EngineA16 are you from the dept that had the B-85 Mack tiller ex Phille ? The tractor part will make it's first show this weekend in P.A. completely redone with new motor. The trailer is next for restoration. Will take lot's of photo's .

EMTBravo is working on bringing a MUSTER back to Westchester County in 2014

Yup, I was there that day. One picture is a 1933 Reo that was owned byThe Box 54 Club of Teaneck, NJ. The vehicle had been purchased from the Harrington Park VFD, NJ. We used that rig to compete against other departments at the muster. What a great time.