Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chovesh

Starting out in Tech. Rescue

12 posts in this topic

Is it possible to be on a rescue team and not do fire? I would like to join a team or local fire department that does technical rescue but can you do it without doing the fire part as well? (I have no interest in going into a burning building)

Do you have to be part of a department to be trained or can you take the courses alone just to have them under your belt.

Is it possible to be on a rescue team and not do fire? I would like to join a team or local fire department that does technical rescue but can you do it without doing the fire part as well? (I have no interest in going into a burning building)

Do you have to be part of a department to be trained or can you take the courses alone just to have them under your belt.

Both the Town of Greenburgh and the Westchester County DES sponsor a technical rescue team. Both teams are comprised of members from different disciplines so you may try contacting them. I think you would have to be the member of some agency to be covered by insurance while operating on the team but they will be able to tell you officially.

Good luck!

Most fire department Rescue Companies also do search and rescue in fire situations as well. Our county has a "Search & Rescue" team with a Hovercraft, and they do rope rescue, water rescue and wildland search & rescue. Different counties use different set ups so you will have to research whats in your area and make sure that you check on what Chris already mentioned, about having to be a member of an agency to be accepted and insured.

Most fire departments accept members who just want to help any way they can too. Like Pump Operators/drivers, fire police, or administrative members that run fund raisers. So check it out, and good luck.

Most fire department Rescue Companies also do search and rescue in fire situations as well. Our county has a "Search & Rescue" team with a Hovercraft, and they do rope rescue, water rescue and wildland search & rescue. Different counties use different set ups so you will have to research whats in your area and make sure that you check on what Chris already mentioned, about having to be a member of an agency to be accepted and insured.

Most fire departments accept members who just want to help any way they can too. Like Pump Operators/drivers, fire police, or administrative members that run fund raisers. So check it out, and good luck.

That's true, Moose. I wasn't trying to diminish the role of the FD in search and rescue but - correct me if I'm wrong - to be a member of a fire department rescue company you first need to be a firefighter, don't you?

Search and Rescue Teams may be more multidisciplinary and have members from other services/agencies/etc. I know that the Westchester County Technical Rescue Team has members from fire, police, EMS and possibly utilities/public works entities so it's not limited to just fire.

I was just looking over the appication for the Westchester Tech Rescue Team, and it says specifically that you DO NOT have to have affiliation with another agency, so that should answer your question right there. Follow Chris' links and it will take you to the applications.

That's true, Moose. I wasn't trying to diminish the role of the FD in search and rescue but - correct me if I'm wrong - to be a member of a fire department rescue company you first need to be a firefighter, don't you?

Search and Rescue Teams may be more multidisciplinary and have members from other services/agencies/etc. I know that the Westchester County Technical Rescue Team has members from fire, police, EMS and possibly utilities/public works entities so it's not limited to just fire.

I hear ya Chris, I was just saying that there is different set ups for each county/area and for him to check out all of his options to see whats available.

We have multiple county teams, and I wish they were all in one big Special Ops team instead! lol It would be nice to have a team set up with multiple disciplines for different situations so we could cross train and help each other out. Right now we have the FAST, Search & Rescue, Haz-Mat, and Fire Investigation teams, but I would like to see one team, "Schoharie County Spec Ops Team". (yah right, like that would happen!!)

Stay Safe

You will also have to look into it, but one thing you'll have to keep in mind is I believe that the pre-requisites for most of the technical rescue courses involves Firefighter 1 or its equivalent. If that is the case, you'll have to undertake the initial training that involves interior structural firefighting.

You will also have to look into it, but one thing you'll have to keep in mind is I believe that the pre-requisites for most of the technical rescue courses involves Firefighter 1 or its equivalent. If that is the case, you'll have to undertake the initial training that involves interior structural firefighting.

Why? If you're joining a rescue team (be it swift water, wildland, or even technical) why is the minimum standard for acceptance firefighter 1? Don't police officers, paramedics/EMT's, engineers, mechanics, physicians, etc. all bring something to the table that would be a benefit to the team?

This seems to be a "tradition" for a lot of courses but I don't understand why it is necessary - unless of course you're going to be on a fire rescue company!

Why? If you're joining a rescue team (be it swift water, wildland, or even technical) why is the minimum standard for acceptance firefighter 1? Don't police officers, paramedics/EMT's, engineers, mechanics, physicians, etc. all bring something to the table that would be a benefit to the team? This seems to be a "tradition" for a lot of courses but I don't understand why it is necessary - unless of course you're going to be on a fire rescue company!

The only reason is because the NYS courses are run by OFPC and they are not very flexable in much of what they do.

I found a page about getting the technical rescue certification on the OFPC website if this helps at all the little note at the top of the page says that NFPA sets all the standards for being a technical rescue tech.BUt there are other courses that you can take besides firefighter one to be able to take the class.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TECHNICAL RESCUE

NOTE: All technical rescue courses are based on objectives from National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1006 - Rescue Technician Professional Qualifications and 1670 - Standard on Operations and Training for Technical Rescue Incidents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-04-0032 Rescue Technician - Basic

Provides a base from which to prepare students for a wide variety of possible rescue operations. Based on objectives from National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1006 - Rescue Technician, Chapter 3, this course includes an overview in areas of specialized rescue, search, technical rescue management, risks and priorities; use of ropes, knots, and rope systems in a low angle environment, and establishment of landing zones for helicopter operations. Demonstrations, practice sessions and testing for certification are included.

Designed For: All emergency response personnel

Course Length: 24 hours

Prerequisite(s): Firefighter I (01-05-0019), Basic Firefighter (01-05-0006), or Firefighting Essentials (01-05-0023)

NYS Certification Level: Firefighter and Rescue Technician Series

BUt there are other courses that you can take besides firefighter one to be able to take the class.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Prerequisite(s): Firefighter I (01-05-0019), Basic Firefighter (01-05-0006), or Firefighting Essentials (01-05-0023)

The only course you can take is FFI, the others are no longer offered (if you have them they count).

Edited by Bnechis

Why? If you're joining a rescue team (be it swift water, wildland, or even technical) why is the minimum standard for acceptance firefighter 1? Don't police officers, paramedics/EMT's, engineers, mechanics, physicians, etc. all bring something to the table that would be a benefit to the team?

This seems to be a "tradition" for a lot of courses but I don't understand why it is necessary - unless of course you're going to be on a fire rescue company!

You know where I stand on this and that is why I'm out there teaching off the traditional path in the EMS realm and as a tactical medic. For the most part, FF 1 is the foundation of every other training a firefighter will build on being it is all of the basic firefighter skills are generally addressed in the curriculum. (still say it needs to be longer in length, but that is another topic) There are things covered in FF 1 that transpond to many of the things that go with technical rescue on the fire side. SCBA/regulator useage, ropes, knots, ladders, etc. NOW, with that said I do believe that we could do this training with a different start off point then just RTB, and until I got denied to go at work, I was hoping that the tactical rappel course through NYTOA was going to give me solid insight on how to do this within local agency levels. I have been doing the rappel training with my tac team for 2 years now and it has been going extremely well and most of the guys have become extremely proficient in anchoring and high angle tactical decents. I try to explain when it comes up that for many of us on a local level that the only way to get the numbers needed to have efficient and effective technical rescue responses is the coordination of all emergency services agencies.