Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBJ1202

Black Sunday Audio

6 posts in this topic

I am about to implement our personal safety systems in my department. I have been collecting materials related to this issue from all different sources, but the one document I cannot get my hands on is the audio from the "Black Sunday" Bronx fire on January 23rd, 2005. I already found the NIOSH report on it, but I feel that listening to the incident unfold will really hit them hard. If anyone has a copy they could email me or point me in the right direction that would be great.

JBJ

EMAIL: cowboyz84@aol.com

"but I feel that listening to the incident unfold will really hit them hard"

Just let them know 2 brave guys died. That should hit them hard. You don't need audio to drive that point home.

CPAGE

From an educational standpoint I feel that listening to the audio of the incident will give members a real time view of how events unfolded. Using the NIOSH report as a case study does not give you a full understanding of how fast everything happened that day. Even though I do not NEED the audio to drive it home, I feel it will only emphasize the point I'm trying to make.

JBJ

"but I feel that listening to the incident unfold will really hit them hard"

Just let them know 2 brave guys died. That should hit them hard. You don't need audio to drive that point home.

CPAGE

If that was the case we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The jobs internal report is much better than the NIOSH report. More in our language and done by experienced chiefs of the safety command. NIOSH reports are good don't get me wrong but if you read both you'll have a lot better idea of what happened from the FDNY report. That being said spend more time training on recognizing situations that you should leave instead of bailing out. As a volunteer dept. you have few training nights so I would make the most of them. Bailing out is good training but not bailing out is better. Going to the floor above without a line is risky as we learned on "back sunday". Maybe you should have in your SOP not to do that except for a KNOWN life hazard not for standard primary search. Keep the risk in line with the benifit.