Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Drivers, watch for emergency vehicles

4 posts in this topic

This was the top story in my local paper the other day. I find it impressive that the newspaper places priority on stories like this (all over the local media, too), and even more impressive that the PD's are being really agressive with enforcement.....most traffic stops I see have an additional officer/car on scene watching for violators and to provide additional scene protection......

Drivers, watch for emergency vehicles

By Isadora Vail

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Round Rock Police Department is reinforcing a state law that requires vehicles to move over when passing parked emergency vehicles because of an accident two weeks ago that could have killed several people, spokesman Eric Poteet said.

FULL STORY: http://www.statesman.com/search/content/ne...27moveover.html

Thanks for the link- it was an excellent story. Is this same law in effect up here in New York? I see NYSP (troopers) regularly on the Taconic, half in the right lane, half on the shoulder, when behind a car they have just pulled over. I always move over or at least slow down if I can't but MANY do not.

Seth, Texas passed the "Move Over" law in 2003 after the sad deaths of several law enforcement personnel throughout the state. You will find that this law is enforced regular throughout the state. Other states that have similiar laws on the books California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, move over laws basically require drivers nearing a stopped emergency vehicle that has lights activated to:

* Vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle if the highway has two or more lanes

traveling the direction of the emergency vehicle; or

* Slow to a speed not more than 20 miles per hour (mph) less than the posted speed limit

when the posted speed limit is 25 mph or more; or

* Slow to a speed not more than five mph when the posted speed limit is less than 25 mph.

I think it is great tool for the safety of emergency personal

I thought this was a law in NY all ready, but upon searching, it seems that the "Ambrose - Searles Move Over Act" was "stuck" in committee. It passed the senate but apparently has not passed the assembly.

It seems that it has taken our impressive state government only about 3 years to get it to committee. At the speed they move, (except for raising their pay and taxes), look for this to be law sometime within the next decade.

It's too bad that you have to legislate what should be common sense.