Followers 0
INIT915

'Maybrook firefighter ballot tainted by scandal'

10 posts in this topic

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../NEWS/812040337

By Meghan E. Murphy

Times Herald-Record

December 04, 2008

MAYBROOK — Maybrook firefighters will vote Thursday on who will lead their department in 2009. On that ballot, they'll have four opportunities to vote for Bryan Dunn.

Dunn, currently first assistant chief, is charged with grand larceny and three other felony counts in association with a ring that, police say, stole about $1 million worth of goods from Wal-Mart. Dunn, 36, is also accused of using a Maybrook Fire Department vehicle to stash some of the items. He lives in Maybrook.

Sounds like a leader to me. Think about it - when was the last time any of our Chiefs motivated us to get out there and do something?

:blink:

I believe in innocent until proven guilty and quite frankly how many career public safety responders are suspended with pay pending the outcome of their case. However, in this case, it comes down to being a man and looking out for the best of your men. Even if he is 100% not guilty of the charges, he should realize the embarrassment this is causing his department and more importantly his brother firemen. Two of the positions are without opposition, so the positions would likely be waiting for him when he was cleared of the charges. Bryan is just looking to make a mockery of the system and thinking of himself. Having known him since middle school, quite frankly I'm not surprised.

According to a post on The Watch Desk, he lost all positions he was running for including the"unopposed" ones.

How do you loose an unopposed position? That is a neat trick.

One thing I would think of, and I have no idea how it would play out in any eventual court case is this.

Firefighter A is accused of a crime, he is suspended pending outcome of the case, being suspended he can not run for office. Sometime within the term of office he is cleared of the charges. Has he suffered damages by not being able to hold office?

Just some hypothetical wondering. I don't know how if at all the courts deal with parliamentary issues that come up in civil cases.

Simple if he did not receive 51% of the vote or if no one voted for him, he cannot be placed into a position. It also depends how the company / department by-laws and constitution is written. Just because he is running unopposed does not mean he is awarded the position. A vote still has to be take. If there is no decision, then the position is still open and ballots have to be cast again. Since most organizations follow Robert's Rules of Order, there should be something in the book about this process. I'll see if there is anything on this.

One thing I would think of, and I have no idea how it would play out in any eventual court case is this.

Firefighter A is accused of a crime, he is suspended pending outcome of the case, being suspended he can not run for office. Sometime within the term of office he is cleared of the charges. Has he suffered damages by not being able to hold office?

Just some hypothetical wondering. I don't know how if at all the courts deal with parliamentary issues that come up in civil cases.

Some companies do a confidence vote if unopposed you need i believe 51% to be elected was this the case?

Or just simple write candidate will do if its a basic majority vote. I know that if I was in a position to do so, I would have suspended him until an outcome was made. Additionally this shows how having strong policies and by laws would help in this scenario. If you don't have them, you better take a look or if you do try to suspend someone it can nip you in the butt if you have no policy covering it, if the right person wants to fight back. Also, just as with most professional athletes have a conduct clause, perhaps adding some behavior clause into position requirements would be worthy as well.

Or just simple write candidate will do if its a basic majority vote. I know that if I was in a position to do so, I would have suspended him until an outcome was made. Additionally this shows how having strong policies and by laws would help in this scenario. If you don't have them, you better take a look or if you do try to suspend someone it can nip you in the butt if you have no policy covering it, if the right person wants to fight back. Also, just as with most professional athletes have a conduct clause, perhaps adding some behavior clause into position requirements would be worthy as well.

Not a bad idea about the behavior clause