Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LCFD994

Putnam Medic Fly Cars

14 posts in this topic

For anyone working in Putnam or Northern Westchester Alamo EMS has finally put 2 new Fly Cars down in Putnam County. They have been running around for a couple of months now. MUCH MUCH MUCH better then what was down here.

I will try to get the pictures that I have out to the site ](*,) ..

Putnam Medic 3 (aka alamo 75 ) is a 2003 Ford Explorer, with a Whelen Light Package. Motorola Radios( UHF, VHF Hi & Lo ).

Putnam Medic 4 ( aka alamo 73) is a 2004 Ford Explorer also with a Whelen Light Package, and Motorola Radios.

Cant comment on that....You can PM me and hear why

Alot newer then what those of us whom work/worked there were using. I loved when they made me use an ambulance when a car went down.

They Look very nice much better then the old garbage

I think they were still running the old E-4 from sloper down there as a flycar. I remember when Sloper bought that thing USED from an office employee back in 1996. (It was the newest of the K5 Blazers).

I wonder why they chose Ford Explorers. Personally, I feel the Ford Exlplorer is a tad too small for an ALS Flycar, because of the weight carried by the vehicle. Is it the best choice to carry the weight of a rear console plus all the ALS gear. I feel the suspension on the Explorer is inadequate for ALS Flycar use, as well as the typical FE engine. In addition, you'd think you'd want the wider footprint of the vehicle for manuvering-stability, as well as the crash protection a larger vehicle can afford.

Actually the Ford Explorer, especially the newer model handles very well. The only other models that I personnally liked were the Tahoe, but the smaller version and the Chevy blazer I used in one system also handled well and was cozy. I did operate a couple durango's which I also personally owned. Not so great in certain bad weather situations, but very comfortable, nice sized but you had to fill up twice a shift, lol. Anything except suburbans and expeditions and jeep cherokee's. I can't stand any of those vehicles for any use.

The weight really doesn't come from the equipment, its the type of console you put in the back. In fact I have 2 systems I'm in where we no longer use the shelves in the back, the equipment is laid out in the back nicely with a cage to stop any projectiles in the event of an accident. Some carabiners and you can clip smaller bags onto the cage. Also large vehicles doesn't necessarily equate to better crash protection. With today's vehicle saftey features they are all well protected with airbags etc, and adding the push bumper in the front helps as well. And the engine? What's wrong with a V6? Less gas, good power.

Yeah. ALS gear alone doesn't weight down a vehicle, the extra crap people jam in there does. We used to operate a supervisor car in White Plains at Abbey that was a Ford Crown Vic (I believe). I got Richey and his gear around just fine. All the gear was in the trunk. Secure and easily accessible. Sure everyone says we need 4x4 for ALS flycars nowadays. Back then we just threw on chains and went.

WAS967 says

"Sure everyone says we need 4x4 for ALS flycars nowadays. Back then we just threw on chains and went"

This must be a medics way of Saying "When I was Chief............."

This must be a medics way of Saying "When I was Chief............."

Nope. I was just a peon EMT back then. :roll:

I did operate a couple durango's which I also personally owned.  Not so great in certain bad weather situations, but very comfortable, nice sized but you had to fill up twice a shift, lol. .

Hey, one of the Durango's I know you operated worked well in bad weather. I recall that specific car careening off of Route 9 during the rain a few times, taking out fences and guardrails. It did a hell of a job justifying the purchase of something else. #-o

Just glad it wasn't blessed with the lucky charms color scheme it's predecessor had...

Well I can't say so much it was the Durango versus some of the operators :roll: . I never had one slide anywhere when I was operating it, my personally owned or agency owned.

Well you dont have to worry about any type of console or storage in the back, all the equipment is just in there behind a dog cage. So far they handle pretty good, but we havent had that much snow yet to test them out.

The Durango that used to be in Medic 4 and is now in Medic 1 rode great in the snow as long as it had good tires, but mechanicall y it was and still is a nightmare. I think it handled well in the snow because it had the storage unit in the back, but they have since taken out that out to lighten the weight of the vehicle.

Personally I am a Ford man who loves his Expedition, but I would rather have a newer Tahoe then an Explorer for a fly car. But at least these are newer and in better shape then what we had.