Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

LifePak 15?

17 posts in this topic

While browsing through JEMS last night, I noticed a suprising ad for the new LifePak 15, which I didn't even know was in development or hear it was announced.

Has anyone seen this in person or used it? Is it smaller then the current LifePak 12, or just the same with more features?

It's not even on Phsyio-Control's website.

It was suppose to rolled out by the fall, but has been held up by the FDA. To comply with the NYS capnography standard Jan 1 FDNY was going to switch to the LP15 as part of a massive product roll out. Last I heard they are shooting for availability by this summer.

Its about the same size and weight. Color screen with a lot more info on the display. A lot of bells and whistles that I don't have any details on.

Looks sharp. The demo looks good. Its ashame that they can't put all that in the Lifepak 20. The twenty is pretty nice and alittle smaller. Anyways I really don't think I will see a 15 in any of the places I work.

The 20 is not rated for field use, it is meant for in hospital use only. The 15 appears to have basically all the same functionality as the 12 just more durable (waterproof. monkeyproof, etc) with a screen that is more viewable in bright light (which I believe you can have your 12s retrofitted with). For agencies who already have the LP12, making the leap to the 15 might be more cost than it's worth TBH. For those agencies still using LP11s or 10s with standalone capnography units, it could be a good way to integrate all functions into one unit with the added benefit of the NIBP. The tradein value of the LP11 (and maybe the 10) would help offset the cost slightly, but not by a huge amount.

What is FDNY using now for their Capnography? Or do they just use the colormetric end tidal pieces?

No surprise that a Physio-Control product is being held up by the FDA after some of the crap they pulled with other models.

Sounds cool though.

I've always liked the 12 even when many of my colleagues were up in arms about it when they first rolled out. I agree with WAS if your using the 12 the 15 might not be much of an upgrade. I do find that that many providers underutilize the 12 as it is with its many features other then the basic EKG, 12 lead, cap, SPO2, NiBP etc. I've gotten use to using the procedure markers and it does help a lot to keep track of what your doing. I've always been a proponent of 12 leads and I've used the ETT cap for quite a while now, what I have come to enjoy is using the cap for all respiratory distress and hypotensive patients.

The 15 looks nice. Does anyone know if its lighter then the 12? Smaller?

All new 12's have the upgraded screen. 15's step up to color screens.

FDNY uses colormetric devices. They also have a stash of 12's with capnography and NiBP that they are starting to distribute, however its not enough for all units and zero for back-up. Instead they're scrambling to buy standalone capnography devices until they can either buy more 12's or the 15's become available.

15 is about the same size and may be a pound or 2 lighter.

Edited by ny10570

The 15 will also have the ability to detect and quantify the presence of carbon monoxide as well as doing capnography, NIBP and pulse oximetry-at an additional cost; this feature will add quite a bit to the price tag. It also has a CPR metronome. That is the big difference between the actual monitoring capabilities of the 12 versus the 15. I got to see one and talk to Mike Hooper over in Greenwich-it's a dandy new unit, and is a little more durable (lessons learned!) than the 12.

physio_control_life_pak_15.jpg

Edited by Skooter92

Skooter did they add protective screen? FDNY had to glue Plexiglass over the screen to prevent damage to the 12's. The last demo I saw didn't have them but the rep was saying it would be built into the grey housing around the screen. They said it could continue monitoring through a 20' fall. It then took a trip out the 3rd floor window. Damn thing was still working.

Edited by ny10570

I believe so...there's a protective housing in place. The screen itself is nice, but IMHO multi-color does nothing for patient care-unless you can play Pong on the darn thing in between calls. Found another photo:

LP_15 Pic

Edited by Skooter92

I would imagine that the LP12s with the Massimo (vs the Nellcor) connectors can be retrofitted with the CO-oxymetry modules. It would be nice to have that feature available on more fire scenes.

I would imagine that the LP12s with the Massimo (vs the Nellcor) connectors can be retrofitted with the CO-oxymetry modules. It would be nice to have that feature available on more fire scenes.

I actually think I would find it more useful outside of fire scenes for calls with the weakness and flu like symptoms to ensure the patient didn't take a dose of CO to be able to make better treatment/transport decisions. I have been asking for single gas CO detectors to clip on the bags for a couple years and have discussed the benefits of such with the VACS in my area.

Also having CO oximetry would be a huge plus...wish the price was lower to see more in the field particularly for agencies who are doing rehabiliation correctly.

Also having CO oximetry would be a huge plus...wish the price was lower to see more in the field particularly for agencies who are doing rehabiliation correctly.

Comparitvely, with the price, FD's with their budgets can and do buy any new toy they'd never use, yet EMS would get to use this everyday and has to fight for the funding. Maybe some of the FD's with their extra cash would be willing to buy these for some ALS agencies.

Comparitvely, with the price, FD's with their budgets can and do buy any new toy they'd never use, yet EMS would get to use this everyday and has to fight for the funding. Maybe some of the FD's with their extra cash would be willing to buy these for some ALS agencies.

Let's just say a large portion of FD's could buy any new toy...lol. Don't forget where some of us work brother...

As far as FD's with extra cash...unless your talking about fire districts...I would doubt it. Also this is a 2 way street. Often emergency services when fragmented into PD, FD and 3rd Party EMS don't talk enough. I know of EMS agencies who "provide" rehab and never had discussed what they are doing with the FD, what the FD's expectations are, or if the FD would be willing to get some of the things that benefit them...or how about to even write a policy so their personnel utilize this life safety critical function.

Heck yes on the wide range of uses for the CO-oxymeter. I too would love to have them as another tool in the box. Two BLS agencies in my primary response area (Somers Fire and Lewisboro VAC specifically) have them on the ambulances. You want to see some interesting stuff tho. Check out what Masimo is cooking up in the non-invasive kitchen. Can you say "noninvasive hemoglobin measurement"? :)

http://www.masimo.com/index.htm

I wonder what laser waveform technology will bring us next. Hellooooo 2009. :D

Edited by WAS967