Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NWFDMedic

Number of mutual aid calls on the rise

8 posts in this topic

From the Times-Herald Record:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...2150335/-1/NEWS

The article mentions manpower as a problem but it fails to mention the other issues that we all know increase mutual aid requests: FAST team requirements, NFPA rehab requirements, and the general increase of call volume in the Hudson Valley that goes to the pace of 10% per year.

not to mention two paychecks needed to survive in NY

No disrespect to the guys on the job, it's not their fault, but the mutual aid to places like City of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie (and I'm sure Westchester has it too) is just a way for city hall to avoid staffing these career departments the way they should be. Those two cities involve up to 5 other departments on "routine" fires

While FAST requests may skew the numbers slightly, in most cases there are other units still coming in mutual aid on top of that request. It also shows that most departments don't have the resources to be able to provide that service to themselves. While it may take 2 paychecks to survive in NY, it is important to ensure you have the right level of response regardless.

NW you are right on the increased call volume, but the problem is there is often no increase in staffing with the average call volume increases. Couple that with agencies that have blinders on to what is really going on around them and forget it.

Danger excellent point.

NW you are right on the increased call volume, but the problem is there is often no increase in staffing with the average call volume increases.

In NR:

1927......300 calls....200 career ff's & officers (disputed total personnel, actual # is lower but the FTE is this #, because of 72 hour work week)

1987......3,400 calls....186 career ff's & officers

2007......8,800 calls....164 career ff's & officers

Note: our fire mutual aid into the city has not changed in the last 20 years, while mutual aid out has doubled. Our EMS mutual aid in went up from about 50 to 500/yr with about 5 out, then in 2007 we added a 3rd ALS Amb 12/7 (7a-7p) since then the mutuail aid in has dropped back to about 50 and up to about 20 out.

Like it or not, I do not think that 95% of the departments have the financial resources to meet the increased demands and never will. That leaves 2 options: Mutual/Auto Aid or consolidation.

Edited by Bnechis

The article says that ISO was told 54% of departments always or almost always call for Mutual Aid. Does that mean every single call? Or does that mean a Chief calls Mutual Aid when it is warranted, for example a structure fire?

The article doesn't discuss Westchester County, but I am sure our Mutual Aid #'s are on the rise as well. One only needs to listen to a scanner for about 3 or 4 days and know which departments are suffering around here. Two pages, three pages, Mutual Aid - no good. If you are having difficulty on a regular basis covering "routine" calls then as a Department you have to step up and assess the problem and do something about it. We're still fairly fortunate in our Department, but like any other problem that may come up, if the issue of manpower and covering calls starts to rear it's ugly head here, I know we wouldn't curtail it, we would do what needed doing.

Like it or not, I do not think that 95% of the departments have the financial resources to meet the increased demands and never will. That leaves 2 options: Mutual/Auto Aid or consolidation.

Cough, consolidation of resources, cough. ;)

No disrespect to the guys on the job, it's not their fault, but the mutual aid to places like City of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie (and I'm sure Westchester has it too) is just a way for city hall to avoid staffing these career departments the way they should be. Those two cities involve up to 5 other departments on "routine" fires

I guess that begs the question what is an appropriate level of staffing. I don't think anyone would argue that the City of Newburgh is understaffed with 2 engines and a truck on duty. The staffing on the pieces themselves has gotten better than it has been at some time in the past and having worked in the City for many years, I can tell you that they put out one heck of a lot of fire with their limited resources. They generally handle "routine" fires with only a mutual aid FAST team and a backfill engine and truck to cover subsequent alarms until callback staff arrives. Should they have the resources on duty to handle a "routine" fire and a subsequent alarm? Well, that's a matter for debate.

As far as my fire district is concerned, I would be happy if we have the manpower resources to handle the initial stages of a fire ... the time when quite frankly a fire can be controlled or lost. We have automatic aid set up for daytime alarms of confirmed fire but we always get a crew out to handle the immediate situation (and lately it's been 2 engines before second dispatch). I don't find it to be a bad thing that the backup or additional resources may come from our neighbors. We provide the same daytime aid for our neighbors as needed. We haven't had the occasion where additional life or property has been lost due to delayed response, so I'd say that's pretty darn good. Sometimes on the border the puke green trucks may beat the red trucks or vice versa, but the job is getting done.

I guess it all comes down to the individual district. Fire districts have an advantage because the commissioners should be there to monitor the adequacy of equipment and manpower in their district. Cities and villages that have officials with other concerns can have problems.