Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

North Castle Lays Off Police Officer

21 posts in this topic

North Castle lays off cop, highway worker in budget squeeze

By Elizabeth Ganga

The Journal News • December 18, 2008

NORTH CASTLE - The Town Board passed a budget last night with a 4.5 percent tax increase after a tumultuous budget season that saw hundreds of residents demanding little or no tax increase.

The 4.5 percent jump was down from an initial proposal for a 9.69 percent increase. To reach that number in the last several days the Town Board decided to lay off one police officer and one highway worker, reduce two full-time positions to part time in the finance and building departments and reduce or eliminate several half-time positions. The total reduction of positions was 4.5, not counting several eliminated earlier in the budget process.

Hundreds of residents and the majority of the town workforce showed up to the budget meeting last night at Crittenden Middle School in Armonk, with residents saying town taxes shouldn't increase while they are being hit with the bad economy and police officers saying their numbers haven't grown in years since despite an increase in population and call volume.

"They're going to have to realize it's going to affect them sooner or later," PBA president Joe Horesky said today.

The 4.5 percent tax increase brings the tax rate up $5.99 per $1,000 in assessed value to $139.09. That brings taxes for a home assessed at the average of $23,800 to $3,310, up $143 from this year.

Are they laying off an officer or eliminating one position? Its a very big difference but not enough of a difference to trust the Journal news would get it right.

Either way, another example of how idiotic some Westchester municipalities are - they want the world but are never, ever willing to bite the bullet and pay up.

Every time something like this hits the press it makes me sick.

I was at the meeting last night in support of NCPD. The only thing missing was the pitch forks and torches! The officer has been laid off. It sucks but i feel this is just of one of many to come. The town of North Castle has 24 million dollar budget (131 FULL TIME employees + many part time) and good portion of the budget relied on the morgage and sales tax income. The town used to average anywhere from $125,000.00 to $150,000.00 a month income from these 2 sources. LAST MONTH: $31,000.00! Do the math, it is loss of approx. 1 million a year. The town has 4 union contracts and they refused to re-negotiate. (So said the town supervisor) Because of contractual obligations, the town had no choice but layoffs and a tax increase of 4.5%. It SUCKS and Its going to continue to suck, the last thing I want is for anyone to have to wait for police or fire response. When it's your house or family, they can't come fast enough. Stay safe and Merry Christmas.

Its really too bad; you hate to see someone lose their job over no fault of their own doing; unfortunatley, it's probably just the tip of the iceberg. It'll probably get worse before it gets better. Never knew they had so many employees tho'.

Four bargaining units refused to consider renegotiating a contract. I guess they'll be able to look their unemployed brothers or sisters in the eye and say they did everything they could for them.

The Town of North Castle Police Department is a professional organization, which is supported by a force of thirty eight sworn members. As a witness to the misinformation that was presented at the board meeting this past Wednesday, and the erroneous mailings distributed by certain disgruntled members of the community, I am still in state of disbelief. The Chief of the Police Department addressed the meeting and informed the Board and attendees that a personnel study that was undertaken more than ten years ago by the State of New York determined that the Department was understaffed. The study recommended the addition of Officers to the Department in order to adequately fulfill the responsibility of the delivery of police services to the community. Since the receipt of that study more than ten years ago, and a large increase in development/ population the Police Department still has not attained the number of personnel in this study. Additionally, within the past ten years this nation and most dramatically this State have experienced the tragic results of a terrorist act. It is clear from the few testimonials offered by members of the community at the board meeting in support of the Police Department that its members wear many hats in their expanding range of services offered to the community. It also must be clearly stated, that the North Castle Police Department is not the “Armonk Police Department.” Rather, the North Castle Police Department is not similar to “Mayberry” it provides police services to an area encompassing 26 square miles, which includes, Armonk, North White Plains, and Banksville.

I am troubled in how in such a small community, the small number of people who oppose public servants and their significance can have such an overwhelming effect on the board to result in a layoff. I urge members of the public, government officials, and anyone with a voice of reason to show their support for the North Castle Police Department.

I believe that in these troubling economic times those persons in the fields of business, finance, etc., are the ones who attack the compensation and numbers in public service. However, when economic times were good those persons had no notion in participating in a blue collar civil service system, rather they basked themselves in high salaries, large bonuses, and countless other benefits. Ironically, these bonuses and other compensation received in the field of business are being attributed to the current economic crisis. Whether these people are doctors or business owners they made the choice to pursue careers in a potential volatile market, rather then enter a once secure profession in the field of civil service.

Concerned MOS

I am troubled in how in such a small community, the small number of people who oppose public servants and their significance can have such an overwhelming effect on the board to result in a layoff.

Most likely because these small number of people vote and happen to be very vocal on their position regardning the budget and as we all know, politiicans tend to listen to those who vote. Instead of being passive, if more people got off their collective butts and voted and participated in the system, perhaps the outcome might have been different.

Four bargaining units refused to consider renegotiating a contract. I guess they'll be able to look their unemployed brothers or sisters in the eye and say they did everything they could for them.

Your statement regarding the layoff of the PO is inaccurate so here is correct info. Only 2 of the bargaining units have recently negotiated/settled their contracts with the Town and the PBA is not one of them. The layoff of any employee will greatly effect services to the Town, especially in the police department, and the PBA is outraged at the layoff. Unfortunately the Town's decision seems to be final so the PBA is working to assist the officer with finding a job with another agency - definitely looking out for their own.

The whole situation is outrageous and should never have happened.

Your statement regarding the layoff of the PO is inaccurate so here is correct info. Only 2 of the bargaining units have recently negotiated/settled their contracts with the Town and the PBA is not one of them. The layoff of any employee will greatly effect services to the Town, especially in the police department, and the PBA is outraged at the layoff. Unfortunately the Town's decision seems to be final so the PBA is working to assist the officer with finding a job with another agency - definitely looking out for their own.

The whole situation is outrageous and should never have happened.

How is my statement inaccurate? The four bargaining units refused to renegotiate their contracts. Maybe in these tough financial times, they should have stepped to the plate and helped the town in their difficult situation.

Its really too bad; you hate to see someone lose their job over no fault of their own doing; unfortunatley, it's probably just the tip of the iceberg. It'll probably get worse before it gets better. Never knew they had so many employees tho'.

Prediction is the first quarter for next year will be worse than ever.

Were there any other employees laid off by the Town or was this officer the sole sacrificial lamb?

By Elizabeth Ganga

The Journal News • December 19, 2008

NORTH CASTLE - A police officer, a Highway Department employee and three part-time town workers will be laid off in the coming weeks after the Town Board decided to cut personnel to bring next year's tax increase down to 4.5 percent.

Residents had been clamoring for no tax increase, arguing that they are hurting because of rising unemployment and shrinking home values. But even with the 4.5 percent tax increase, the town has cut spending below this year's levels. Falling revenue, particularly from mortgage taxes, created a hole only serious cuts could dig out of. To bring the tax increase down from the 9.69 percent originally proposed, the Town Board cut more than $880,000 from October's tentative budget, putting total general fund, highway and library spending at $23,678,807.

Full LOHUD Article

North Castle PD PBA,

You may want to try contacting Peekskill PD

for the PO who is being layed off.

PPD just had a couple Promotions/Retirements

and may be looking for a PO?

Hope that helps!

:D

I hate to tell you all this but times are going to get real rough over the next year or two, and not just for civil servants. Most companies are not giving raises in 2009, and due to this state income will be down. People are spending less, it is the first time since 1950 American's started to pay down debt instead of taking on more, and due to this when the next quarter, October - December numbers come in states and municipalities will be crying the blues due to a loss in sales tax revenue. I think a good discussion would be how do you fix this problem because in 6-8 years we are going to have another recession and this all going to come up again. Also look on the bright side, obviously not help full to the member of MPPD, but areas in Arizona, California, Texas, and Nevada are faring much worse then in the tri-state area, some communities had to stop picking up garbage due to a lack of property tax revenue from foreclosures. .

How is my statement inaccurate? The four bargaining units refused to renegotiate their contracts. Maybe in these tough financial times, they should have stepped to the plate and helped the town in their difficult situation.

You stated that the four bargaining units refused to negotiate their contracts, which is simply not the facts and therefore your statement is inaccurate. Wherever you got your info that all four unions refused to renegotiate was wrong. Hence, wrong info = inaccurate statement.

Two of the four unions had recently settled their contracts and the PBA is not one of them. The town did ask those two unions to re-open negotiations and it didn't happen. The PBA contract expires at the end of this year and negotiations are stalled at present, primarily due to the economic times. I'm sure that the PBA would be open to discuss any options to avoid this layoff, however the layoff was never even mentioned by the town until it was a done deal.

There is no failure by the PBA to "step to the plate" to help the town or their own members at any time. There are many reasons that led to these layoffs .... blaming the unions is not really fair.

The members of our PBA are working to help this young officer find a new job. Thanks RWC130 for the info on PPD - we'll be sure to mention it to him!

You stated that the four bargaining units refused to negotiate their contracts, which is simply not the facts and therefore your statement is inaccurate. Wherever you got your info that all four unions refused to renegotiate was wrong. Hence, wrong info = inaccurate statement.

Two of the four unions had recently settled their contracts and the PBA is not one of them. The town did ask those two unions to re-open negotiations and it didn't happen. The PBA contract expires at the end of this year and negotiations are stalled at present, primarily due to the economic times. I'm sure that the PBA would be open to discuss any options to avoid this layoff, however the layoff was never even mentioned by the town until it was a done deal.

There is no failure by the PBA to "step to the plate" to help the town or their own members at any time. There are many reasons that led to these layoffs .... blaming the unions is not really fair.

The members of our PBA are working to help this young officer find a new job. Thanks RWC130 for the info on PPD - we'll be sure to mention it to him!

does any one know who the officer who is layed off is i have a friend who just started there this year

does any one know who the officer who is layed off is i have a friend who just started there this year

I suggest calling your friend as it is really inappropriate to name the unfortunate victims of this political action in this forum.

To all, please refrain from naming victims of layoff unless/until they're publicly reported and even then my personal opinion is that there's nothing to be gained by naming them here.

Thanks!

The Officer that got laid off is a personal friend of mine and also a fellow class mate of the WCPA 125th Session. He is doing well and has been employed by the Village of Mamaroneck Police Department. Thank you all for your concern I dont think he is a member of emtbravo but I will let him know that fellow brothers are looking out for him. Stay Safe

DVD :D

I'm glad to see he got picked up by another agency. I hope the North Castle elected officials one day regret their decisioon to lay off a cop.

Great to hear he's back at work and good luck with the new job!