Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Radio Shack PRO-164 Scanner

5 posts in this topic

First let me start by saying I'm a scanner newbie, really only used them in the past to monitor 5-6 frequencies tops. I just got a PRO-164 scanner and I want to program the Connecticut State Police trunked system. Radioreference tells me they use Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink trunked system. I have all the frequencies and talkgroups, I just dont know exactly how to put them in. The manual for this scanner was essentially useless to me when I tried to program it, as this is my first attempt at programming a trunked system. Anybody have this model scanner that can give me some help?

Hey bud,

You need to set the CSP truck bank to Motorola Type II and enter in the "high side" frequencies. You do not need to place them in any particular order. However, you need to pick what frequencies from a particular antenna site for the bank. You cannot put all the frequencies in and expect it to work. I'm not familiar with the RS Pro 164 but there some information in the radio reference forums about how to enter them in. Fi you want give me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks Izzy, I'll try it out and if I have some trouble I'll shoot you a PM.

In other news, I am not happy I missed that 2-Alarm in WH Center last night...

Edited by SageVigiles

That's what happens when you head back to the "Hills" :D

Just an FYI, the Radio Shack PRO-164 is not a digital(APCO25) capable scanner. Conn. state police is all digital like yonkers pd and greenburgh pd. Even with the scanner programmed correctly, you will not be able to listen to them. sorry.

Here are a few scanners that Will work with APCO25 digital systems....

Uniden® BCD396T

Uniden® BCD996T Base/Mobile Digital Trunking Scanner

PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner

PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner

Edited by BFD669