Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Wake County (NC) EMS to Roll Out Advanced Practice Paramedic Program

4 posts in this topic

And they use Dodge Chargers as flycars.............

Wake County EMS to Roll Out Advanced Practice Paramedic Program

RALEIGH - Beginning on January 6, 2009, the Wake County Department of Emergency Medical Services will begin implementation of the Advanced Practice Paramedic (APP) Program.

This program represents a change in the configuration of the EMS response in Wake County, enhancing response to the most critically ill or injured patients while also providing prevention visits to high-risk populations.

FULL STORY: http://firenews.net/index.php/news/news_ar...ms_app_program/

wow, a great idea. It's nice to see some agencies trying to be proactive and get "in front" of some of these medical issues. As far as co-responding with EMS, its a very rewarding practice. As an EMT-I in my town we ride in one of two fly cars and meet our 3 BLS ambulances on scene. Most of the time you're there to be a guiding hand if needed, but sometimes its necessary to step in and take over in "out-of-the-norm" situations. I hope this new Medic program works out for them.

I worked in this system up until 1999, they are very progressive. And believe it or not, EMS isn't considered to be the red headed step child down there. The screening process to get hired was extremely thourough, the CME was very structured and you were paid to complete it! They are also now doing hypothermic therapy in the field for cardiac arrest patients. Their web-site is www.wakeems.com Best EMS career out there!

I'm always pro anything that is progressive in nature and profession and allows us to be utilized to our fullest capabilities. It must be nice to be around those that aren't fearful, have faith in training processes, to have QA/QI to ensure these things work and silence the self doubters of all levels of medicine and the allied services. The idea of the co-response has its merits. I always thought most places have precep time with an experience provider to guide newer medics on the street until they comfortable, but in some cases its like having an additional alsfr as well so the extra hands are also great if needed. That type of interaction really needs those that are able to step back and allow the provider to do their thing unless they are really off base or really lost.